Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Gphone, er, "G1" ... finally

Google and T-Mobile held a joint announcement today of the first mobile phone, called the "G1", running Google's Android operating system inside.  The phone, which will be available for purchase in about a month, is pretty slick.  I have seen, held, and played with the phone, and I give it a thumbs up.  What most people will do instantly is compare this product to Apple's iPhone, and this is appropriate.  What they will find is the G1 is not as sleek, shiny, or quite as pretty as the iPhone, but it is as functional, if not moreso.

You can probably find a million articles on the web talking about media guys', bloggers', and analysts' impressions of the phone, and of Google's foray into the mobile phone world.  You might find it interesting to read a little bit about the pros and cons of this phone and the operating system in general.  A couple of articles I read are in the SF Chronicle and the San Jose Mercury News.  Here's a great link to a site with a lot of information, pictures, and videos.

Maybe this will actually help our stock price...or maybe not.

2 comments:

samandbrodi said...

I am not able to get it right now...but I will be very curious as to how it does. I love all things google so I will be keeping a close on it. Anything specific that you liked about it or didn't like about it from your time playing with it?

Unknown said...

nice..
we have t-mobile. any hook-ups? mr. google?