Monday, September 29, 2008

Financial Implosion

I have to mention the stock markets today because it's absolutely brutal what is going on.  The House of Representatives voted down a $700 Billion financial-rescue plan, and the market basically cashed in all its chips and then went home.  I can't even begin to speculate on how much money people lost today - untold billions, even trillions in aggregate.  It's really not pretty out there.  

I personally am disappointed that the House rejected the bill.  I see their concern: that people who have previously made unwise financial decisions shouldn't be bailed out by taxpayers.  But I also see the other side of that coin - now everyone has to suffer, and it's ugly.  Fortunately for many of us, we have lots of years until retirement, but just think if you didn't...  Our hometeacher came by last night and lamented the fact he recently put a half million dollars into Lehman bonds - gone.  And that was all but a fool proof bet to keep your money safe, or so everyone thought.  I guess my bottom line is, if we have to bail some people out for the good of the whole economy, then fine - so a few won't learn their lesson, and a few will profit from the gov't safety net, but the vast majority of the country will potentially benefit from the economy not tanking.  Of course that doesn't factor in the cost of taxes, but in good times that's a different argument.

My advice: take a very long-term view on your stock portfolios, if you have anything left.

No comments: