Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Interesting question

I'm not a deep doctrine kind of guy.  I'm not one who tries to peel away the layers of the scriptures, or of modern revelation, to find all that alledgedly lurks beneath.  I'm content to just read the standard works and listen to conference.  So this question is merely curiousity, not trying to delve into any fringe conversations...

Last night I was reading 1 Nephi 11 and I came across verse 8, which I must have read a hundred times before:

8 And it came to pass that the Spirit said unto me: Look! And I looked and beheld a tree; and it was like unto the tree which my father had seen; and the beauty thereof was far beyond, yea, exceeding of all beauty; and the whiteness thereof did exceed the whiteness of the driven snow.

It struck me as I read that verse: how does Nephi know what driven snow looks like?  I may be wrong in my geography, but I'm pretty sure where he grew up it doesn't snow.  I'm also sure he handn't seen pictures of it in books, in skiing magazines, or on the Internet.  Is it possible that global warming has affected the earth so much that it's drastically changed the weather in that region of the earth?  Any thoughts?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,

This is by no means a "deep" answer, but I believe it will answer your question. It is rare, but yes, it does snow in Jerusalem.

http://www.bibleplaces.com/jerusalemsnow.htm

Anonymous said...

The story behind that is when I used to work for a Palestinian guy and he would go there a couple times a year. I learned a lot about Israel from him.

jamkmb said...

Thanks Clint. Very interesting - I did not know that.

Anonymous said...

No problem. I had never caught that little portion of that verse before. Good thinking/reading. It's pretty cool to see pics of Jerusalem blanketed in snow. I think the other answer is that as you know in the Bible and even the early days of the Church people/prophets would go to mountains and mountain tops much like a temple and would go there to seek guidance from God. It stands to reason that they would also encounter snow from time to time when doing this.

Anonymous said...

Oh great... You just proved that the Book of Mormon isn't true. Thanks for destroying my testimony.

Brian said...

I think you should pray about it...