Friday, September 12, 2008

Of Running and Google Food

Angela ran 18 miles this morning starting at about 4:30am.  This was the third week in a row that she and her girlfriends ran 18-20 miles, and the second week in a row that they ran at 4:30am on a Friday.  I'm really proud of her for being so dedicated to her training this year.  She's going to have a fabulous race and, and dare I say... Boston next spring?  Sorry to jinx you Ang!

And then there's me.  I've mentioned a little knee problem before, but it's becoming a bigger problem because we're getting so close to the marathon.  My training plan has been completely scrapped, I haven't been able to run more than 5 miles for almost a month now, and it doesn't appear likely that it's going to get better any time soon.  I've been a maddog in trying rehab the sucker - ice multiple times a day, every day; lots of stretching; some Ibuprofen in moderation; and taking multiple days off.  I thought I had the problem licked when I got a strap to theoretically hold your IT band in place, and I was ecstatic when it really worked the first two runs I used it.  But then, back to the same old pain.  I hit 3 miles and the knee decides, "yep, that's about enough of that!"  So all I can do at this point is rest, run very short runs every now and then, and hope that it feels better.  Either way, it's going to be a brutal marathon, if I get to run at all - I put the chances at 50-50 at least that I can't run...stinks!

So then there's the food thing.  Without being able to run, I realized I probably need to eat a little better or else I'll start looking like Hurley (Lost) before too long.  Let me tell you though, it's very, very, very hard to eat right when there is so much good food available at any given time throughout every day that I'm at work.  I have had good days and bad days - and last week I went the whole work week without eating any sweets.  I just need to work on my will power a little more.

To replace running, I have swam in the Google endless pool a few times.  That is pure torture. The guys in the Olympics made it look so easy and effortless - let me tell you that was false advertising!  I actually have a decent stroke from my Northcrest swimteam days, but I'm slower than slow, and I could barely pull myself out of the pool after 25 minutes of swimming.  Anyway, I'm shooting for a relay leg in 2012.

Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Molly said...

BUMMER! I hope you can run, since I know you've been planning and preparing for so long. Maybe you know someone (wink wink) that could hook you up with some more powerful pain meds on marathon day?? Just a suggestion. :) Oh, and as an aside, I am not driving all the say to George to stand with you, all showered and fresh, on the sidelines...I want to see you guys suffering!! :)