Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Rivalry Week

I know a few of you have been waiting patiently for me to bring up this topic.  Finally, I have succumbed, and the BYU-Utah football game this weekend is finally on the table.  Sorry Matt and Sam, I'm not going to add fuel to the fire of this already ridiculous rivalry by predicting a BYU win.  I'm not going to badmouth Utah and everyone who went there.  I'm not going to sing the praises of BYU and everything about it.  Instead, I'm simply going to share with you over the next few days some of my favorite BYU-Utah moments...5 of them to be exact.  I gave extra weight to games at which I was actually in attendance.

Here then, is the beginning of my Top 5 BYU-Utah games of all time.

Tie: #5
The Kaneshiro Klank

This was a tough game to watch at times.  Angela and I were with my brothers, Spencer and Dan, and a bunch of their buddies, sitting in the north endzone of Rice stadium for the game.  We were decked head to toe in blue, and the buddies even had their blue "cone-heads".  The game see-sawed back and forth, with BYU finally taking what seemed to be a big enough lead at 26-17 with under 3 minutes to play.  Utah proceeded though to run back the ensuing kickoff 95 yards for a touchdown, and then they held BYU on their next posession.  Here's where the fun started. Utah's first play from scrimmage is a 54 yard pass completion to about the BYU 20 yard line.  In classic Ute fashion, the receiver then felt it necessary to tell the BYU guys what he thought of them, and he got a personal foul penalty.  A few plays later, it came down to this: BYU 26, Utah 24; 22 seconds left; 32 yard field goal attempt by kicker, Ryan Kaneshiro, to win the game.  In my mind, it was over.  My pride was swallowed, my crow was before me on the plate ready to be eaten, and my tail was tucked.  We happened to be in the endzone behind the goalposts where the kick was happening so we saw it all unfold.  The kick was up, and despite the roar of the Utah crowd's premature celebration, everyone could clearly hear the "DOINK!" as the ball hit the right upright squarely, and bounced harmlessly away.  I'm not sure what was better - the fact that we'd won, or the incredulity of the Utah fans to have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory in such a manner.  It was particularly satisfying to rub it in the Utah fan's face who had been elbowing Angela all game (I didn't find out until later or there would've been a problem).  And to cap off a brilliant outcome, the Richards clan got their picture in full color, front page and center, of the Provo Daily Herald.  I actually have the picture at home, but couldn't find it online for this blog edition.  Good times Cougar fans, good times.

Tie: #5
1989: Detmer...

There was a stretch of 23 years under LaVell Edwards that Utah only won two games.  Once in 1978, and again in 1988.  The 1988 game was painful for me.  My East High buddies and I snuck into Rice Stadium and made our way down to the blacktop behind the North endzone to watch. I was, of course, the only one of my friends cheering for BYU in 1988, and I paid for it as Scott Mitchell led Utah to a big win.  So come 1989, I was anxious to not have a repeat of the 1988 game, and boy was I in for a treat.  Long story short (too many highlights to share here), Detmer was magical, and Utah's humiliation was complete with a 70-31 victory that didn't even feel like it was that close.  Think we can replicate that this week...?  Me neither.

And check out the video on this site for a little background if you're new to the rivalry:

1 comment:

samandbrodi said...

Yeah, I was there for the goal post clank. That was brutal and a heartbreaking loss.

I do have to say that getting yourselves on the cover of the Provo Herald is very impressive considering that there are 10s upon 10s of people that actually read that paper.

I am not ready for this game. I am always shocked that when the game ends that I am either so happy or so bummed. Why does a stinkin' sport bring out so many emotions.

If it plays out like usual, it will be a wild game.