Friday, November 21, 2008

Numero Dos

It was very hard for me to decide between the #2 and #1 games.  It's almost like 1 and 1a...

#2
Brandon Doman and LaVell's last game

My good friend and rabid Utah fan, Jim Cowley, shocked me by inviting me to go with him to the Utah-BYU game in 2000.  I reminded him who I would be cheering for, promised to be polite, and there we were on game day in the North endzone of Rice-Eccles stadium.  It was cold, the field was a weird shade of non-green, and I was sitting/standing in a sea of red season ticket holders.  BYU played very well for the first three quarters, amassing a nice 26-10 lead.  The U then inserted disgruntled QB Darnell Arceneaux, and for some reason, it became a new ball game.  Utah scored 17 unanswered points throughout the fourth quarter, the last of which was a pass to their wide open tight end right in front of us (maybe his first catch that year?!) to go ahead with like 2 minutes remaining.  You should have seen the derision and abuse I took from the drunk U fans all around me.  So BYU gest the ball back and it was not going well, finding themselves on 4th and 13 from their own 17 yard line.  I remember Doman on a designed roll-out to his left (I remember thinking, "don't roll that way, that's where the pressure's been coming from!") and after a brief pause, flinging the ball down the left
 side of the field.  I was amazed that he threw it long, knowing he should have just been trying to get the first down.  But lo and behold, Jonathan Pitman had broken free and was coming back for the ball and a 34 yard first down.  At that exact moment, I knew we'd won the game.  Our kicker was nails that year, and I had no doubt we could win.  The next play Doman went up top again for Pitman, this time completing a 36 yard pass with a tightrope catch down the left sideline to move us down to the Utah 13 yard line.  The refrigerator door was all but closed...  Two plays later, Doman swept right, broke a couple of tackles, and powered the ball over the goalline for a victory in LaVell Edwards' last game.  I actually think I was still polite to the U fans around me, but you could say it was a very LOUD polite.

1 comment:

Matt M. said...

Love the top moments, I get chills just thinking about them. I second all of those. Last years would definitely be in my top five too, being there in Edwards Stadium east stands going crazy on their last drive. What a game. Go Cougs! Wish I could be at the game tomorrow but sadly I'll be watching with friends at our place.