Friday, November 21, 2008

#3

For those of you who don't care about the BYU-Utah game, or have more important things going on in your lives, thanks for your patience with me as I indulge myself in this unique week.  There's not a lot of "family" packed into these blog posts, but I promise I'll swing back the other way after this week.

#3
Magic Happens

Austin Collie's taken a beating in the media for his comments along the lines of "if you're living right on and off the field ... magic happens".  Good for him for saying what he believes.  And good for him for helping BYU win a thrilling rivalry game just last year.  A newspaper story started out with the line: "For BYU, it was fourth down and 18, but it might as well have been fourth-and-hopeless."  That was the situation for BYU with a little more than a minute to play, ball sitting at their own 12 yard line, down 10-9 to the hated Utes, Max Hall playing with a sprained shoulder, and zero momentum.  Max took the snap, stepped up in the pocket, slid to the right and found some running room, and uncorked a long throw down the sideline to a wide open Austin Collie.  How Collie got that wide open I have no idea, but my guess is the defense was guarding the first down line, and he ran right past it.  A 49 yard completion to Collie, and the Cougs were back in business.  I remember thinking "we better get closer because our field goal kicking has been spotty at best this year", so by no means did I think it was over.  The next play was a pass down the sideline to Dennis Pitta, and in typical Utah fashion, the DB unloaded on Pitta's head well after the ball had sailed out of bounds...15 yard penalty.  After a couple more plays it came down to a run to try and set up the field goal team with about 30 seconds left, but Harvey Unga was having none of this field goal business.  He went off right tackle, cut back hard, ran over "The Mouth" - safety/loser Steve Tate, and found himself standing alone in the endzone holding the ball and the win in his hands.

Check back later today for #2 - I'm going to post the rest of the list before the end of the day today.

No comments: