Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Seems like there's something I should be doing today...

I have done my civic duty and delivered my votes today at the Hillview Community Center.  Truthfully, I had already filled in my votes on my vote-by-mail ballot that I didn't actually get around to mailing, so today's delivery was sort of anticlimactic.  But filling them out at home gave me the chance to take a little more time and try to really think through the issues.  What I realized though, is that there are many candidates and propositions that I just have no idea on.  You hear advertisements and see signs up to vote for or against certain things, but in reality it's actually very difficult to understand the true long-term effects of a ballot item.  So Angela and I just voted by what sounded good for our family.

I've had quite a few discussions recently about Obama v. McCain, and about Proposition 8 here in California.  I've written before on the blog about my personal feelings for McCain (not real favorable), and none of his politicking has done anything to change those.  However, what has become clear to me through the course of both campaigns is that I really do believe strongly in some key aspects of the Republican party.  So even though Obama is personally impressive, and I think he's going to win anyway, I decided to cast my vote not necessarily in support of an individual candidate, but in line with a party that closely matches what I believe.  I'm glad though that each person can vote as he or she sees fit, and I hope we all do that today.

Proposition 8 is a very polarizing issue here in California.  Most of my friends and close acquaintances are in favor of the proposition, but there are many people in the area who are strongly opposed.  It's been interesting to see many large Silicon Valley companies (including my own, which is no surprise) come out in support of, and donate lots of money to, the effort to defeat Prop 8.  Nonetheless, I think that measure will actually pass.  I've been wrong before (usually about sports outcomes), and it may get defeated, but there's been a huge grass-roots effort among many churches and conservative groups to pass 8, and I think it will pay off.  We'll see...

My final political thought.  There are a lot of people stressing about outcomes.  Truth is, you can't control it, and it's not worth the tension.  Opponents will celebrate, fingers will be pointed in triumph, and then the country will be back to trying to solve its deep problems.  As for my family, we will pay attention today, and then we will get back to the business of living and trying to be righteous.  Not much will change in our daily lives based on today's elections.  Thank goodness.

Have a great day.

No comments: