Friday, November 21, 2008

And the winner is...

You already know what it's going to be - how could you not?  Every single person with any interest in the rivalry knows all about this one, for better or worse.

#1
Caught for the Touchdown!!  Caught for the Touchdown!!

2006, back and forth game, amazing plays by Harline, blah blah blah.  Let's cut to the chase...  Utah takes the lead, 31-27, with 1:19 remaining on the clock.  I think it was Brent Casteel who caught it, and I think I hate him, wait, I know I hate him.  He was busy bowing to the crowd while BYU's offense was preparing itself for possibly the greatest drive in recent BYU history.  84 yards to glory.  A few key plays that I can replay in my head from memory: a key pass to Bryce Mahuika where he had the first down, then gave up ground, then dove forward to regain a critical first down.  Curtis Brown catching a short dump off pass and breaking a tackle to get to the sideline and stop the clock.  A fourth down conversion to Jonny Harline that was vintage Beck - patience, consistency, laser throw.  A beautiful pass into coverage to freshman McKay Jacobsen to set the team up on the 14 yard line where they eventually ended up with 3 seconds left in the game.  So it all comes down to one final play (I'm hyperventilating ... hold on a second).  The Utes rushed two linemen and dropped 9 players into zone coverage.  Beck went through his reads quickly, but of course nobody was open.  He drifted to the left, directing traffic with his left hand, trying to keep his receivers moving.  He had all day, but eventually one of the Utah linebackers, #44 to be exact, had had enough and rushed at Beck.  At the last second Beck darted right to avoid 44, and as he ran to the right, the entire flow of the defense followed him.  The TV also followed him, so we couldn't really see what was going on in the endzone.  As he was running right, he also took pressure from one of the D-linemen, and just as he was about to get hit by the big guy, he whipped the ball all the way back to his left, across his body (that's hard to do), and the entire world stopped rotating while the ball hung in the air...  Jonny Harline, slid to his knees (hence the "Answered Prayer" moniker), all alone in the endzone, and cradled the winning touchdown.  Two things happened at that point.  I jumped and screamed so loud that Brig thought the world had come to an end, and I also banged my hand very hard on the ceiling (which would hurt much later, but not even noticed at this point).  Sheer pandemonium on the BYU side, shocked disbelief on the Utah side.  Whittingham looked like he was going to cry, Mendenhall started jumping around, and the replay ran over and over at our house for the next 6 months.

For an AMAZING first-hand account from John 
Beck, follow this link: 

Also, these YouTube videos are fantastic (I recommend Kleenex and a sound-proof room):

GO COUGARS!!!!!!

2 comments:

samandbrodi said...

I have officially blocked that game out of my memory. In fact, it is so out of my memory that I don't believe anything of what you just wrote.

Should be a fabulous game today.

Sheri said...

I just looked on your blog and saw "and the winner is..." and I expected the answer to be "THE UTES!" I guess you need to fix your blog:).