Thursday, November 20, 2008

$2.21 and 2001

I stopped on the way to work this morning to get gas.  Two amazing things happened: 1) I filled my tank for less than $30 - $2.21 a gallon - I mean, I don't remember gas this cheap since well before we moved to California!  and 2) The guy who came out to fill my gas tank was NOT a Utah grad (the guy said in broken English that the U grad was in the back cleaning the toilets but hoped to move up to "pumper" by the end of the year) ... OOOOOOHHHHH!!!

#4
Staley, Nose Bleeds, and Pandemonium

The Cougs were 10-0 and ranked #8 in the country - you can imagine the expectations!  I truly was sitting in the nose bleeds of Cougar Stadium that year.  I was in the corner of the East stands, about 150 rows up, and had a great view of, well, nothing.  The game did not go well for the first 3 quarters and most of the fourth.  BYU found itself down 21-9 with about 3:30 left in the game, and they had driven 85 yards to keep hope alive.  Doman took the snap at the 7 yard line, scrambled around a bit, and found Luke Staley breaking free on the sideline right in front of us (although far below) for the touchdown.  A Staley 2-point conversion brought the Cougs to within four, and then the BYU defense held Utah and forced a punt.  With 2:11 remaining, BYU got the ball back, and drove down the field.  It seemed like things were stalling in the face of a staunch Utah D, and BYU needed something big when they got down to Utah's 30 yard with 1:16 to go.  Doman called the patented option to the short side of the field, and the play began.  It's hard to describe exactly how it worked, but you had Doman and Staley matched up with three unblocked Utah defenders.  Doman jitter-bugged a bit because there were clearly no openings for either him or for Staley, and in that moment of hesitation, he succeeded in drawing the two nearest U defenders to him.  He then flicked a pitch out to Luke, and the last U defender, who had also been leaning toward Doman, looked like a statue as Staley exploded down the sideline(again, right in front of us) untouched for one of the greatest touchdowns I've ever seen AND heard.  You should have FELT the stadium erupt...it was sheer pandemonium.  I nearly broke an ankle jumping around on the bleachers, hugging everyone in sight, and celebrating wildly.  As BYU was up 24-21, Utah still had a chance, and the put together a drive of their own down to BYU's 30 yard line.  Then Jernaro Gilford picked off a Lance Rice pass and the game was over.  Beautiful...

No comments: