Thursday, May 24, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend plans

In honor of the Memorial Day Weekend coming up, I thought I'd reminisce a little. Memorial Day still doesn't seem complete to us without the Richards extended family Millcreek breakfast. We loved the company, the beautiful setting, and of course, the food. I remember Roger pulling a couple of skinny trout out of an even skinnier stream, many times with his cords wet from jumping in to grab a fish or free his line. I remember Grandpa and Grandma cooking up eggs and pancakes, bacon and hashbrowns. I remember catching up with cousins we didn't see too often, and really enjoying being together at a picnic table. I remember hoping the kids didn't fall into the creek. I'm sure there were horseshoes in early years, and probably some games for the kids. In later years I particularly enjoyed either cycling or running up to the breakfast, but I'm sure it tainted everyone's breakfast around me who didn't have nose plugs on. We got so much enjoyment out of our extended family, and we still do! We miss all of you and wish we could see you all every time we make it into town.

Memorial Day was also a big cabin weekend for our family. In honor of this tradition, I thought I'd put together a top ten list of memories I have of the cabin:

CABIN TOP TEN MEMORIES:
10. The fort we built, and the wood machine guns we used to defend it...especially in the snow!
9. Cross-country skiing in deep powder into the cabin - wasn't always fun, but every once in a while, it was magical...especially coming back down and seeing Dad wipe out
8. High-altitude, horse-fly dodging, don't-hit-the-ball-into-the-pasture tennis games
7. Grandma and Grandpa Richards hiking in during a blizzard on Christmas Eve to deliver "Our Team's the Greatest" t-shirts
6. Hard work: Finishing the basement, moving the piano upstairs, staining, building stairs
5. Staying up way too late in our three-boy-to-a-room suites upstairs, and forgetting that Mom and Dad could hear everything as they were right below us
4. Chili-patty melts specifically, and all the good food generally over the years
3. Being happily crowded around the dinner table as the family grew ... and grew ... and grew ...
2. Our honeymoon ... :-)
1. Fishing with Dad - on the river, in the lake, and as base camp for forays into the Uintahs

Have a great weekend up there guys, we'll miss you!

1 comment:

Spencer said...

Other cabin memories:
1. throwing how many thousand rocks in Smith & Morehouse.
2. Oakley Rodeo
3. Shakes at Polar King(is that what it's called?)
4. pull-up contests on the upstairs banister
5. whiffle ball baseball and "wood projects" in the unfinished basement
6. watching grainy BYU football games and conference after pulling the old TV out of the closet and plugging in the antenna
7. warming up to fires in the Woodsman
8. various wildlife adventures--moose, deer, bear, etc, etc
9. getting to be the gate opener
10. just being with fam.