Monday, June 1, 2009

Back Home and Feelin Good

I got home from my New York business trip late Friday evening and was very happy to be home. I thought the trip was very productive, and I was busy enough that I didn't have much time to miss the family, so that was good. But it's always super nice to roll into the home front and have the kids very excited to see their old man. When I got on the plane at JFK ready for a 5pm Friday flight, I was pretty sure it was going to be the worst flight ever:

In ascending order of horrendousness, here were the following events in chronological order: 1. got on the plane and it was stiflingly hot; 2. not much overhead space so in shoving my carry-on into the tight confines I popped a zipper off; 3. the kid behind me was absolutely wailing and kicking my seat; 4. and the real doozy... a very, very large black woman with a cough came on the plane late and wouldn't you know that she was on my row, right next to me, in the middle. She couldn't sit down without lifting up the armrests, which of course meant that she would essentially be sitting on me the entire flight. She was coughing a lot, and as you can imagine, she was like a giant heater (on an already hot plane). She then reached up and turned my air off, which I then turned back on and she complained she was cold. I left it on... As we took off, the kid thankfully quieted down, but this lady was smashing me against my other armrest, and I was extremely uncomfortable. I was pretty sure at that point that I would never again be flying Delta airlines. Well, the stewardesses came to the rescue about 1/2 hour into the flight- finding me a new seat (exit row no less!), and making sure I had plenty of drinks the rest of the flight. I guess they could tell I was hating life...

Sooooo, we had a good weekend with the family. The girls were all in the school dance concert, and they did great. We also got to hang out with a few friends we hadn't seen for a while, and it was nice. I also went on a great bike ride on Saturday - perfect warm/hot weather, and pretty good legs. The kids are psyched that this is their last full week of school, and we're all looking forward to fun summer stuff.

No comments: