Thursday, October 30, 2008

"...hey, it's good to be back home again..."

It's great to be back home again!  It's a remarkably long travel day from New York to San Francisco.  My alarm went off at 4:45am ET (let me point out that's 1:15am PT), the shuttle picked me up at 5:15am ET, and luckily I got to the airport with only 2 1/2 hours before my flight (thanks to the shuttle service insisting on morning traffic, which surprisingly was all coming INTO the city, and not OUT of the city to JFK like we were) - whew, barely made it.  I flew home with two kids behind me kicking my seat, or actually grabbing the top of my seat and hanging on it, the entire flight home (I don't blame the kids, I blame the rude, ignorant, selfish, former hippy parents who failed to do anything to help their kids not bother others around them).  Luckily, I didn't have to worry about eating with my chair rocking back and forth because American Airlines was kind enough to not feed us unless we wanted to pay like $17 for a 3-day old sandwich.  And to top it all off, the in-flight movie was - you're going to be jealous - Kit Kittredge, American Girl.  WHAT THE...?!  

Oh well.  The trip to NY was very successful and I'm really glad I went.  I got a lot accomplished while working with the team out there, and I feel like it was essential for making progress in our team.  I even got to take some time yesterday evening and ride the subway down to Battery Park (very cold!) where I was able to gaze on Lady Liberty for a while.  It was actually really neat to contemplate the symbolism of that welcoming statue.  I really enjoyed it.

The family just joined me at Google for the annual Googleween celebration.  While the rain put a slight damper on the festivities, it's fun to have them come.  Micah is really getting to that age where she's not anxious to dress up in public anymore, and I think she was happy to have the rain as an excuse to "not get the my costume wet".  Tomorrow will be fun as they have their school costume parade and parties, and then another annual tradition of going with a big group of school friends to the same house and all trick-or-treating together.

Happy Halloween.

No comments: