Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sports stuff

I was very happy to see the Phillies beat the Dodgers last night in the NLCS.  I will say Philly is one of the three or four teams I follow semi-regularly, but I cannot be considered a true fan.  I'm happy for Nate and Dan, because it's their hometown team, and I like a few players on the team: Utley, Howard, Victorino, but it was as much about seeing LA lose as anything else.  I guess it makes me happy when any LA team loses, mostly because of the fans.

I'm also happy that the Tampa Bay Rays are going to beat the Red Sox in the ALCS.  Not sure if it will happen tonight, but certain it will happen.  It's awesome to see a team go from dead last the previous year, to playing in the World Series this year.  Also, very cool that this team outta nowhere gave it to the big name teams in its division - Boston and the Yankees.

OK, enough baseball.  It's GAMEDAY baby!  The Cougs take on a very tough and motivated TCU team tonight, live and in color, from Dallas/Fort Worth.  This is the stiffest test the Cougs will have faced so far this season.  I honestly have no idea how the game will go, but I will say this: over the course of the game, our defense will be better than their offense (mostly running team), and our offense will be better than their defense.  Things like turnovers and penalties could really hurt us, but if we can limit our mistakes, and be patient with our gameplan, I don't think they can consistently stop us on offense over the whole game, and I don't think they can run on us effectively enough to win the game.  So yes, I'm predicting a Cougar victory, although this one will be ugly at times.  Should be fun to watch (I hope).

And then this weekend, #1 ranked Texas hosts #11 ranked Missouri on ABC at 8pm Eastern.  This is a huge game for the Horns as it will serve to validate what they did to Oklahomie last week, and it will cement their place on top of the rankings.  Might I add, it's quite a treat to have both schools that I attended and follow passionately ranked in the top 10!  I imagine that's a fairly unique dynamic.

Finally, as with every other year, it feels strange when the NBA and NHL start up with baseball still rolling, and my mind fully footballized.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How's that crow tasting?