Tuesday, October 28, 2008

New York

I'm in New York City for a few days this week and it's very cool.  I'm staying at the Four Points Sheraton in Manhattan, which if you want to look it up on a map it's on 25th St and 7th Ave.  My days have consisted of walking down to Google's offices at 15th St and 9th Ave, and then meeting/working with fellow team members and people I support.  It's been really fun to work in a different environment, and the feel here is pretty cool.  My business partners and team members have all been very friendly and they seem happy to meet me and have me on board.

I've enjoyed walking the streets of NY to and from the office.  It's interesting to see all the hurrying people, the shops, delis, vendors, parents walking their kids to schools that don't look like schools, a million taxis, and the smokers.  Yesterday was a beautiful East Coast fall day; today it's raining like crazy.  Luckily I walked to the office before the heavy rain came, but it certainly does have implications for my walk home later if it doesn't let up.

One thing I really don't enjoy about traveling is being away from the family.  I feel so separated, even if I know what they're doing at given times of the day.  It's even difficult to call them to feel better because it's fairly rare that nothing's going on and they can actually talk.  Let me rephrase that...it's tough to talk to Angela without feeling her stress of the day, without Brig screaming to talk, or without the car full of kids drowning out the conversation.  Fortunately I'm not gone long.

I also don't sleep very well in hotels.  Actually, I can just plan on the first night being horrible, and then after that I'm usually so tired from no sleep the first night that I can sleep.  But I got some exercise in the gym this morning, I've been drinking a lot of water to combat the plane/hotel dry air, and I'm good to go.

I feel slightly guilty that I'm not taking advantage of the trip out here to see a show or something uniquely New York.  The problem is, I try to work late to maximize the work time, so that doesn't leave too much time for other things after dinner.  Maybe I'll see what I can find for tonight or tomorrow...

1 comment:

Britt said...

Hey John...hows it goin? I found your blog through Caroline who is friends with my friend Laree.

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing great. Tell Ang hi from me and to give me a call next time she is in town. It has been way too long! Later!

Brittany (Brammer) Adams