First thing's first: thank goodness that darn heatwave has passed us by. Today was a very manageable 85 degrees; have fun all you guys further east...Brig and I went camping on Friday night, and we had a great time - his first campout, my first fathers and sons as the father. We found a campsite right next to a bunch of our friends from the ward, and it was my kind of campsite - relatively flat ground, room to park the car close to the tents,
picnic table close to the fire pit, and only staying one night. It wasn't until I had pitched our tent (for the first time) that I realize just how big it was. Sure, we didn't need all the extra room, but I wasn't complaining when it came time to move our stuff in and out and being able to stand completely erect without hitting the top. Sure beats the little two man pup tents we used to have when I was a kid! Brig's highlights were (in order): carrying around his own working flashlight, repeatedly kicking off his crocs and ending up barefoot in the dirt, eating a hotdog he watched me cook over the fire, running around with
his buddies from the neighborhood looking for Lions, and being the only person in the whole camp to sleep soundly through the night. A couple of my observations: thank goodness for a whole box of baby wipes so we were actually pretty clean before going to bed; smooth ground while camping is an illusion - what feels pretty good when you first lay down quickly and cruelly turns into a hip-pointer waiting to happen; some people are really good at roasting all-beef hotdogs over a campfire (me) and some people are really good at making dutch-oven potatoes, cobbler, bacon, eggs, etc. (my campmates); the kid with the flashlight is always the coolest when it gets dark - it's worth whatever it costs to stock up your kid with his own; and why is it so easy to wake up at 5:45 while camping and it's already 75 degrees, when it's almost impossible to wake up that early at home? All in all a great trip.
Another first on Saturday was taking all the kids and one friend to the Giants game up in San Francisco. It got chilly, the game was slow (I know you're thinking ... "duh", but this one was actually really slow), but we had a good time. I didn't find out until today at church, but our friends sitting in a different part of the ballpark saw Brig and me on the scoreboard picture as I was throwing him up and down, oblivious to the game. Fortunatel
y it was timed to coincide with a "slow" period of the game in which they were playing music and encouraging people to pretend like they were having a good time so they could film people looking silly, so we fit right in. The kids liked their $17 Giants Dogs (not really, but close), and I think it was a great effort to last u
ntil the 8th inning.I also got to take Brig on a bike ride during the day while we waited for the girls to get home from their sleepovers the night before. He's a good little kid, and I love him a lot. We had fun hanging out, although there were times when he'd just get this look like, "where's everyone else...where's my mom?" It's been a fun weekend to hang with him, Micah and Morgan. Church went well today, and having the kids actually got me out of counting tithing today, so not too bad. We're definitely all looking forward to Mom and Kennan coming home later tonight, but we haven't been at each other's throats, and the house is actually clean, so I guess it's been a successful weekend without Mom. ..... Maybe that's a first too.
1 comment:
Camping with the little ones can be awesome or can be a complete disaster...glad it worked out.
Giants game...that is very cool and I am very jealous you are so close to be able to go to games. We have gone to a couple of games with the kids to NY and Baltimore, but I am itching to take the kids to a game in SF. Hopefully soon.
Post a Comment