Kennan and Morgan were both in Friday and Saturday night school productions of The Sound of Music. Kennan, who played Marta, did a great job with speaking and singing parts; and Morgan was an excellent performer in the kindergarten chorus. I could tell watching both of them, whether zoomed in through the view finder on the video camera or from the back of the room with Brig, that they really loved what they were doing. We were really pleased for them to get that opportunity without Micah in the same play to steal their thunder.
Ang and I spent a few hours down in the basement on Saturday going through old boxes and things we've accumulated over the three years of living here, trying to decide what we really want to keep (and move). We erred on the side of "if we haven't opened that box since we moved last time, we pretty much can be sure we don't need it any more". So we took a load to goodwill, made a trash pile, and actually made some good progress in organizing what we are going to keep so as to be easier when the move comes.

We also took the kids to play tennis with our friends the Baughs. We mostly just hit around, and I was once again impressed with how well Kennan can hit the ball. Actually, the best part for me was riding their 11 year old son's rip stick (pictured). It's like a skate board, but instead of two wheels on each end, there's only one. You stay on it and propel yourself by weaving back and forth, similar to what you would see a surfer do. It took me a couple minutes, but before too long I had it down and was zooming around the outskirts of the tennis courts. Man was it fun! I want to get one for myself ... err, the kids.
After a lot of activities on Saturday, the kids were really worn down in the late afternoon and we needed to get them a rest before their play that night. They didn't really want to sleep, so in fun I said, "if you don't sleep, you won't be able to be Marta tonight, and I'll have to go do it for you." Kennan in a voice full of derision said, "Dad, you're not a good enough singer." and then Morgan piped in and said, "yeah, it's true." So there you go...I guess if you don't sound like Hannah Montana, you're not a good singer.
I watched the BYU rugby team play in the national semi-finals and finals over the weekend. They looked great on Friday against Colorado, but they got the big beat down by Cal on Saturday. It was still fun to hang with some old buddies, see some rugby, and get the opportunity to tell some obnoxious BYU fans to pipe down and stop embarrassing the rest of us. You know it was bad if you hear a Cal dad turn to his son and say quietly, "son, you can learn from this that just because you're losing, you shouldn't blame things on the ref, be rude, and act like that." I told him I agreed, and then at the next outburst I walked over and told the man (mid 50s probably) to shut up. Love the school, just not all the people... (Cue Matt D and Sam with their anti-Cougar venom...)
We also had a lot of friends in and out of our house this weekend. Micah has formed a really fun friendship with a relatively new girl in our ward, who also likes playing with the other kids (dream come true for them). We also met a neat new couple who came over to see our house, and who will likely end up living there when we move out. And we had a new family over for dinner last night that turned out to be really cool and we had a great time. We're blessed with many great friends and acquaintances out here that make our lives much better.
Now I better get to work...
No comments:
Post a Comment