Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Happy Birthday Big D!


Dave turns 32 today. While it is very uncommon for me to remember my siblings' ages, I actually remember Dave's because he was a Bicentennial baby born in 1976. Amazing what actually sticks in this swiss-cheese brain of mine.

I have a lot of great memories of Dave over the years. I'm going to ramble for a while and just share some memories with you in no particular order.

-Dave sitting in the way back of the family suburban, hands clutching the back of the middle seat, bouncing vigorously up and down as we drove home up the Avenues, trying not to pee his pants
-Dave playing basketball with me in the back yard - I remember very well the one time he won when he was much smaller than I was...he launched a beautiful rainbow jumper from the side of the old backyard court, I watched it go through the hoop for the win, but he was already running for his life before it even went through, which was the appropriate reaction because I took off after him...
-playing couch football in the downstairs playroom with Dave
-riding bikes to Northcrest with Dave and Spencer
-Dave as captain and emotional leader of the West High basketball team
-Dave fasting the day he went through the temple, and then having him throw up in a certain part of the temple, after which I had to then occupy the same spot... yuck
-Dave leaving for his mission to North Carolina; seeing him off at the airport and he was sick and even skinnier than usual - he'd been sick for at least a week - MTC food ...
-Dave coming back from his mission a confident and mature man
-Dave's guitar playing and singing
-Dave's homecoming - every time I hear the hymn Nearer My God To Thee I think of him singing it over the pulpit and me feeling the spirit so strong I couldn't stop the tears.
-long rides in all kinds of weather with Dave (sometimes far behind Dave) as he got me into biking
-and many more....

I love Dave so much. I've always felt protective of him (except for the one time mentioned above when I tried to kill him), and that's not because he needed it, just because I care for him. He's a great brother and man.

Happy birthday Dave.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Thanks, J. Your words really felt beautiful. I know that sounds weird, but that's how I measure things these days since I haven't always had the opportunity: how does it feel to me. Love you too and thanks for letting me win that one game (funny, I don't remember it so you either beat me hard enough that I don't remember it, or you're telling a fib to make me feel better).

jamkmb said...

No fibs. I can still picture you taking off at a dead sprint as the ball was going through the net. You did get a victorious yell in though as you tore down the brick path. I don't think I beat you senseless because you found mom, so the sheer terror must have been enough to block it out of your mind.