Tuesday, April 8, 2008

China

I'm sure many of you have read about and seen images of the protests surrounding the Olympic torch relay. The 2008 Summer Olympics, scheduled to take place this summer in Beijing, are causing immense controversy because of China's deplorable human rights record, and because of recent hostilities in occupied Tibet. It's to the point now that every torch event is disrupted as protesters attempt to extinguish the flame, stop the progress, and fight with police and pro-Chinese supporters.

I bring this up for two reasons. First and foremost, I want to share my thoughts on China. It's not the occupation of Tibet that bothers me, because that's been going on for centuries in many countries. What does bother me is their record of oppression of their own people. They do not offer their people many of the rights that are most basic to us (many of which are admittedly abused badly). When the people try to take some of those rights, they are ruthlessly stamped out and set back even further than before they tried to exercise a small piece of freedom. What is even worse to me is the controlling of families by mandating restrictions on number of children parents can have. This drives people to do horrible things that can in no way be right. Also, the Chinese government encourages, and even subsidizes, the stealing of copyrighted and patented materials and designs from other countries, and restricts trade and expansion of international companies within its borders. I guess that's it - it just seemed like a good time to talk about that.

Secondly, the torch relay comes through San Francisco tomorrow for its only US stop. Sure there are many Chinese people in and around SF, but you can bet there will also be massive crowds of protesters from this liberal and protest-happy city. I'll actually be in the city tonight at a Giants game (I should probably say at a Padres batting practice), and I'm wondering if I'll see any signs of the coming storm? It'll be interesting to watch the news tomorrow and see the hatred flow.

No comments: