Monday, November 9, 2009

random stuff

I'm looking out my office window at a very serene dusk sky as the sun is now down and the last light of the day is lingering over the Santa Cruz mountains. Problem is, it's 4:48pm. Since when does the sun go down before 4:48pm?! Man, glad I don't live in Alaska or someplace extreme North...

I've been downloading Apps like crazy lately on my Android phone. My personal favorites (some new, some I've had for a while), that I actually use quite often, are (and they're all free...):

1. Shazam: when I hear a song I like on the radio, or in the mall (wait, I'm never in the mall, but you get my drift...), I just hold up my phone running Shazam, and it tags the song, tells me who it is, and stores it for later when I want to go buy it.
2. DirecTV: I just set my DVR at home to record tonight's Jazz game, while I was in the bathroom at work - well, I guess you didn't need to know where I was, but it's cool nonetheless.
3. Pandora: this is a great Internet radio app, although I did have a problem with it the other day. I was at work, the app accidentally got opened on my phone, and next thing I know there's music coming from my pocket... good thing it was a cool song.
4. SportsTap: any sport, any time. Real time scoring, stats, and other cool stuff...
5. The Weather Channel: great for whenever I need to know what the weather is in Kona, HI (saved from our trip), or New York City, or anywhere for that matter
6. "Where": which is one of those cool apps that gives you local info for wherever you are - like movie times at the closest theater, gas prices at the closest gas stations, restaurant recommendations for - you guessed it - close by.
7. Some other handy ones on my phone: Flashlight, Compass, and Bubble Level (seriously, I use it)

So the next generation of phones are now hitting the stores and they even have more cool stuff built in. Like turn-by-turn navigation (including Google Street View images as you near your destination), to replace your Garmin or TomTom navigation systems. Another extremely cool one is the speech to text function, which I would find particularly useful when I'm driving - text, email, etc. by voice... nice!

As I was walking out the door today, Brig said, "Dad, have an AWESOME day without me!" :-)

No comments: