Thursday, April 30, 2009

Saturday's race

With all the talk of swine flu and other sicknesses floating around, I've been super paranoid about getting sick just a few days before my big race. The race for me is going to be the culmination of a LOT of exercise hours over the last four or five months. I'm very excited, and quite nervous.

It's the Napa Valley Vintage 1/2 Ironman Triathlon. All triathlons are basically the same, in that you swim, then you bike, then you run. What differs is the distances of each leg. The shortest distance (other than your neighborhood kids n' mom's triathlon) is a Sprint distance, and the longest is an Ironman. The 1/2 Ironman is the second longest distance, and it consists of a 1.2 mile swim, followed by a 56 mile bike, and then a 13.1 mile run (half marathon...). While I feel very confident in my ability to do any of those activities in and of themselves, I'm significantly less confident in my ability to put them all together back to back. So my two goals for the race: Finish, and try not to finish dead last. That's it.

The forecast is for rain on race day, which will present some interesting challenges, particularly on the bike. It's never fun to ride a bike in the rain as it's cold, the road gets slick, it's hard to see, and you get really grimy from all the dirt and grease flicked up from the wet road. But honestly, I'm going to be hurting anyway, so at this point I don't really care what the weather does.

Angela's coming up with me, and we'll leave the kids at our friends' for the night and that day. It'll be fun to have her there supporting me - even though it might be a long wet day for her too.

So I'll let you know next week how it goes. And by the way, happy birthday to Dave today - wish I could be there to give you a big wet birthday kiss!

1 comment:

samandbrodi said...

Go get 'em John. Good luck!