Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools Reminiscences

I'm typically not a big fan of April Fool's jokes, but every year on this day, I remember the best joke I've ever seen. There were these two brothers that used to walk to elementary school the same time we would, and we'd generally see them along the way. The older brother was mercilessly unkind to the younger brother, who was quite a bit smaller and really had no choice but to take the abuse. I didn't like the older boy, who was my age, but I didn't know him very well either. So this April 1st, they were running down the hill to school, and we happened to come out of our street about the time they ran past. The next thing I know, the little brother goes flying off the road and winds up in a heap on the grass patch by the sidewalk. He's moaning and looking seriously hurt, and I could see that the older brother was very concerned - probably that he'd finally gone too far. Just as the older boy started to really worry and show concern, the younger kid jumped up, yelled "APRIL FOOLS!" and took off like a shot. The stunned older brother hesitated for a second, and then took off after the kid, I'm sure exacting his revenge later. But it was classic how the younger brother used April Fools to get his older brother completely frustrated. Not sure why that always sticks out to me, but that's what I think of when I think of April Fools jokes.

Oh yeah, we're pregnant again!

1 comment:

Craig and Krista said...

The best April Fool's prank I pulled was several years ago. Craig had been a member of the SWAT team for a couple months, but he hadn't been paged for a call-out. As you can imagine, he was giddy with anticipation. He was sleeping after a graveyard shift when I jumped on the computer and sent a fake SWAT page to his phone. I could hardly contain my laughter as I heard him jump out of bed and yell, "I gotta go!" He grabbed all his gear and raced out the door in a split-second. I had to chase him down the driveway shouting "April Fool's!" I still don't know if he has forgiven me!