Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Dad
A few of you already know this, but on Saturday afternoon's session of conference, we were surprised to hear Pres. Uchtdorf say my Dad's name as a new member of the 2nd Quorum of Seventy. As we talked to Dad later, there were signs that might have indicated to some family members what was up, but we didn't pick up on them, and so didn't see it coming. We're very happy for him, although we have mixed feelings about what it will mean for us. Selfishly, we feel like we still need our Grandpa and Grandma for the kids, to be around when we go there, etc. Fortunately, we found out today that they'll stay near church headquarters (i.e. home!) for the first year and a few months, and then they'll receive a 4-5 year foreign assignment (probably Spanish speaking). Also fortunately, they'll be back during each July as it's sort of the church's time for everyone to take a little time off, and they'll also come to general conferences in Utah. So with some small adjustments to our normal travel plans, Christmas is really the only time we'd be in Utah without having them around.
I'm proud of Dad. Not proud in a bad way, just proud that he's my dad, and I'm his son. He's an awesome man, and while I said it was surprising earlier, it really wasn't because we've sort of been expecting it for a while now. I want to be like my dad - NOT because of this calling, or any other calling he's had - but in the way in which his kids love him, the grandkids love him, and he treats everyone so well. He's the best! So we'll definitely support them wherever they end up going, and thank goodness for Skype.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Pretty cool huh? Matt and I must have been clueless to the signs too because we had no idea either! It took us until we were sitting in our seats for the session and looked closer at our tickets that it dawned on us. So I can imagine seeing it on TV was even more surprising!
We're hoping we're still around too in the future so we can see you guys! We'll definitely all need each other more than ever now.
Very cool, John. I'm sure it will be a bummer to have them on a foreign assignment - I know the girls have enjoyed having them come to see their plays and special events. But what a great experience for your parents!
Your dad is fabulous and I sure enjoyed getting to know him growing up around the Richards family. He will do a great job. I look forward to hearing what his responsibilities are over the upcoming years. He will be terrific in that calling.
Post a Comment