Thursday, January 8, 2009

Go DAN!!! and the Dream phone

Right about now, Dan is finishing up his last interview at a well-known Bay Area company for a job when he graduates this summer.  It was fun to have him come by and visit me last night at work, and we ate dinner in what he described as a "weird" experience to be back at Google after his internship.  We really hope he does well in the interview, and that the company makes the right choice and gives him the job.  It would be awesome to have he and Hailey join us full-time out here.

Our Christmas bonus this year was a G1 Dream phone, the cool 
phone with a Google Android operating system on it.  After having spent a few hours messing around with it the last three weeks, I have a few observations.  

It's really cool, but it's main problem is it's always going to be compared to the iPhone, which is much sleeker and lighter.  I do like the fact that it comes with a full keyboard, which is why it is heavy and big, but even that takes some getting used to for someone used to typing on the Blackberry keyboard.  I like the touchscreen a lot.  It is just responsive enough, and I like how you can build up momentum on the slides if you want to move quickly through screens.

The most adicting thing about the phone so far has been the Apps Market, where you can go and browse hundreds of apps to download (all free at the moment).  The apps are pretty wild, including some you'd never think of but they could come in handy.  For instance, there's an app that allows you to send a text to your phone, at which time the phone turns on, turns the volume up, and alerts you where it is.  There's another one where you scan a barcode of a product, and then you can either automatically search for that product to buy online, or you can locate the 10 nearest stores that have that product, and compare prices to get the best deal.  Another app will listen to a song playing anywhere in the vicinity (car radio, etc.), identify the song and artist, and take you to either download sites (Amazon) or video sites (YouTube)...that's pretty cool.  I downloaded the scriptures, which came in handy last night at family scripture study; I of course downloaded a sports scoreboard application; and then there's the games.  I find myself playing Sudoku, Bonsai Blast, or Slide Puzzle when I have downtime (or throne time) - I'm actually getting better at them and they can be addicting.  Anyway, it's fun to have.

No comments: