Thursday, January 29, 2009
Boot Camp and Gmail Tip
Angela has started going again to her fitness boot camp one morning a week. I'm excited for her because it makes her happy and it makes her look hotter, if that's even possible. It's kind of funny to see her drag in from the workouts and you can just see the fatigue in her face. And then the next couple of days watching her do simple things but flinching from muscle soreness - good job Ang!
I use Gmail for my personal email. It has a really good spam filter, so none of the unwanted, inappropriate, or dangerous emails get through. However, as time has gone by, I've used the email to sign up at online sites and things, and inevitably, a number of different "newsletters" have accumulated so that a lot of the email I get is not something I'm really interested in. I decided to do something about it. Rather than go back to each website and unsubscribe multiple times (debatable whether that actually works anyway), I've created a bunch of filters in my email account. I highly recommend it! In case you're interested, here's how you do it: 1) go to Settings; 2) first click on Labels and set up a Label folder that will hold all your "other" mail...I called mine Z.Other so it will always be at the bottom of my list of filters; 3) then go to Filters in the Settings tab and just start creating. The easiest way is to just use the From:___ line and type in the sender's domain, like "costco.com". Then click on Next Step, and on the next page you will see a list of all the emails currently in your Inbox that the filter would catch. Check the boxes for "Skip the Inbox", "Apply the Label: Z.Other", and "also apply filter to X conversations below". Click Create Filter and you're done - the emails are no longer in your Inbox, and you are taking back your email. If there are others you want to read periodically but you get them so often that it's annoying (I get Texas sports updates from the Austin American Statesman like 5 times a day), you can create a folder for that lone email source and create another filter. I'm loving my new slimmed down Inbox. Just a friendly tip...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment