Monday, August 13, 2007

Normality Returns

As we sat around this morning as a family, just kind of relaxing before our morning prayer and my work day, I couldn't help but smile. To be home, all together as a family, as the sun shone through the window, after a great night's sleep in our own beds, with no other distractions - very nice!

The drive home, however, wasn't all nice. The kids did great, and we made excellent time until Reno, but hit the horrendous Bay Area traffic and what normally takes about 11 1/2 hours took us 13 1/2 hours. Oh well, we'll have to time it a bit better next time. Luckily though, we got home early enough that we had very little stress even with the added hours on the road. We were able to get a few things unpacked, and at least tidied up before settling down for the evening.

So now we're home and things are back to normal, but it was nice to spend a final weekend with family and friends in Utah. We really enjoyed a trip to the BYU bookstore, hanging out with our longtime friends, Matt and Sheri, a couple more great meals prepared by Grandma LeBras, The Music Man play at a local theater, a fun dinner and hospital tour with Grandpa Richards while he was on call at the hospital, and being with everyone we won't be able to see for a while.

I also ran the Provo 1/2 marathon on Saturday and really enjoyed it. I wasn't planning on running until maybe Friday, but I'm glad I did. I didn't run my best time (I ran 1:44), but in going in with a lot more relaxed view of the run, I enjoyed it much more than usual and felt good afterwards. I'm grateful to be in shape to be able to run something like that on a spur of the moment. It also got my juices flowing for St. George again, which is big because I was really feeling non-motivated for October. I'm looking forward to also running a relaxed marathon with Matt Dalton and probably Jason (if his ankle continues feeling better).

The trip to the BYU bookstore was fun! We got some awesome Cougs gear for Brig - workout pants, sweatshirt, t-shirt; and a couple of things for Brig's dad. I was especially excited to put the new/old Y logo sticker on our Rocketbox proudly displayed alongside the Longhorns sticker.

I owe you some pictures, which I may have time to do tonight or tomorrow. We took so many it's going to be hard to narrow it down... Here's my favorite one so far from the hospital cafe with the Richards (note the remains of Brig's accident markings on his head):

3 comments:

Molly said...

Glad you guys are home safely, but forever bummed that YOUR home isn't closer OUR home! Love you guys. Thanks for lots of fun together. Can't wait for our next chance to see you....

Unknown said...

Glad you made it back safe!!
It was fun to see ya'll!

Lookin' forward to the pics!

Anonymous said...

John, It was really fun getting the families together. I ran 20 yesterday (8/18/07). I think I am ready to run St. George "nice and slow". Matt