Wednesday, July 18, 2007

World's greatest recent inventions (according to JR)

We had our new home teacher over last night and we found out something really cool about him - he built the world's first functioning microwave oven. Pretty cool, huh? So I'm sitting here at my desk surrounded by a bunch of cool little gadgets and I started thinking (dangerous, I know): "what are some of the coolest inventions of the last, say, five or ten years?"

So I'm going to compile a small list. I'm sure I'll miss some great ones that maybe others can chime in on, and I'm not talking about the boring ones like clean water systems in third world countries - I'm talking about the really cool stuff that makes MY life better (ok, that was quite tongue in cheek, but seriously...).

10. Sport Turf for football fields: no more of those horrific astroturf fields - this has greatly enhanced my football viewing pleasure. And anything that means less Cougs will get hurt is always a good thing in my book.
9. Back-up sensors for cars: just imagine the pain and expense this has saved people (also grouped into this car innovations category are self-parking cars, cars that turn on without a key, cars that open up when the key gets close, and hybrid cars).
8. Bose Noise-canceling Earphones: OK, I admit I don't have these because the Morgan had to go to preschool last year. But have you ever tried them out? They're unbelievable! They make my life better just knowing they're out there, and someday I may have a pair.
7. Flat-screen monitors: I have a 24-inch monitor, and with a phone call to the techie guys could have another one in like an hour. I remember the day when monitors were so big and heavy that they took up half your desk, and if you ever had to move them, you were left with crushed fingers and a hernia.
6. Portable DVD players: This has single-handedly made our frequent drives through forsaken places possible. I'm not sure what's worse - west Texas or Nevada, but the good thing is, the kids have never even seen those places, because they're watching DVDs and not fighting (usually). One request for portable DVD players next version: please insert a mechanism to systematically destroy any DVD starting with "Barbie" and ending with "Rapunzel".
5. Bluetooth headsets: these babies are cool - it knows whether it's my desk phone or my cell phone that's ringing, and I can be out in the hallway and still take the call. I don't have to take my cell phone out of my pocket, and no wires you have to fumble frantically with to find the earpiece before the phone stops ringing. I must call for a moratorium, though, on all those wannabes who walk around with their earpiece in all day, whether they're on a call or not...that doesn't work for me.
4. Google products: This sounds like a plug for my company, but they really make my life better. Gmail - no more deleting emails as I hit the size limits; Calendar - Ang and I sync our calendars together so we know what we each have going on; Blogger - this may not make YOUR life better, but I think it's pretty cool; Docs & Spreadsheets - we share packing lists, schedules, and many other docs; Picasa - photo sharing has never been so easy, high-quality, and free (well, it was free when you just showed someone your prints, but you know what I mean) - love the easy edit features; Talk - coolest thing is you can attach whatever picture you like to your name - I like that.
3. Blackberry or other email/calendar/phone devices: I know some of you curse your blackberry, but just think about how this has changed your life...you always know when an appointment is without having to open up your computer and check; you can do a lot of critical work from the golf course via email and IM and the nice wind-canceling headsets (see above); you can keep every important contact and piece of data in your pocket for use at any time; you can check scores and read articles in church; and you can fake like you're important by whipping it out and thumb-typing furiously with an important-looking scowl on your face.
2. iPod: I ran 14 miles this alone morning, and I would not have made it without my trusty iPod. I had my training partners Bob Marley, Los Lonely Boys, Linkin Park, Yellowcard, and many, many, many others to keep me company. Special nod to the "Shuffle" feature! And of course, digital music and MP3s obviously go hand in hand with iPods as a key invention.
1. DVR: I don't even need to explain why this is so cool - no more commercials, no more VCRs, no more missing programs you like but don't even know are on, pause, replay, watch something while recording something else, etc. Two things that would make it cooler would be if it automatically knew to keep recording until the end of the game if it goes over the allotted time slot, and if it automatically deleted anything recorded off the Disney Channel.

So there you have it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too bad #9 didn't pull through for you when Ang backed into someone... :)

jamkmb said...

Ha! I was wondering if anyone would remember that little incident...