Tuesday, July 17, 2007
A couple of Tour thoughts
Yet another rider who I have not cared for too much has impressed me again this Tour. Christophe Moreau, who I've always viewed as kind of a pouty pretty boy, really impressed me in Sunday's stage. He rode hard in leading a chase group, where a bunch of would-be contenders just let him drag them along, for almost the whole stage. I was impressed with his work ethic and his pride in himself in riding the right way. I was not impressed with some of the big names who just sat on his wheel and then jumped around him at the end after in-fighting and posturing the whole time - Alejandro Valverde, Iban Mayo, and Cadel Evans to be specific.
It's too bad to not have a real GC contender among the Americans anymore. I like Levi Leipheimer and think he's an outstanding bike rider, but I just don't know if he's going to be able to separate himself. Maybe he can, and I think his strategy is to just stay with the big boys for now, but I haven't seen anything inspiring from him yet.
I'm enjoying the outstanding individual efforts that are coming out this Tour - some old names reviving themselves and some new names exploding onto the scene for one special day. It's a neat event that seems to bring out peoples' best and worst.
It's too bad to not have a real GC contender among the Americans anymore. I like Levi Leipheimer and think he's an outstanding bike rider, but I just don't know if he's going to be able to separate himself. Maybe he can, and I think his strategy is to just stay with the big boys for now, but I haven't seen anything inspiring from him yet.
I'm enjoying the outstanding individual efforts that are coming out this Tour - some old names reviving themselves and some new names exploding onto the scene for one special day. It's a neat event that seems to bring out peoples' best and worst.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment