Tuesday, March 23, 2010

stupid car

I've had my Volvo S40 now for about 9 years - maybe 8 1/2. It's a 2000 model, and it's been a wonderful car. My brother Nate had told me at one point to watch out because at around 90K miles, Volvo's will start falling apart. So when I blew through the 90K mile mark with no significant problems, I smugly thought, "Ha! I've beat the system!"

I now have 110K miles, and the car is not doing well. While that's better than 90K, it's not really in the Honda range of long-term reliability. Other than the couple thousand dollars I've spent over the last six months on things like new timing belt and new struts, the problems I'm now facing are: the A/C doesn't work (um, that's gonna make for a long, sweaty summer), the horn doesn't work (can I pass inspection with no horn?), and the car shakes so much when I stop that I feel like apologizing to the cars around me for the vibration noise it's making.

Anyway, this is definitely NOT the right time for this kind of thing to be hitting. But then again, that right there just sealed the deal that of course it will happen, it will be expensive, and it will keep happening.

And just for the record on a not completely unrelated topic, I HEREBY PROMISE I WILL NEVER AGAIN INVEST IN REAL ESTATE OR ANY SPECULATIVE VENTURE FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN TO LIVE IN SAID REAL ESTATE OR SPECULATIVE VENTURE FOR THE REST OF MY NATURAL OR STRESS-SHORTENED LIFE, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.

1 comment:

Matt M. said...

Guess that just means that the two wheeled vehicle has to be used more :)