Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Reading Time

I sometimes spend too much time in the "reading room". Thing is, I like magazines, but I'll never just sit down and read a magazine because it feels like wasted time. But I will use biological time to catch up on my favorite mags. I will make my way through an entire issue over time, not reading anything else until I finish that one - I dog ear the page I'm on for the next time. Yes it sometimes comes with numb legs, but in general, it's good quality time. Here are my favorite magazines:


ESPN the Magazine can feel pretty corporate at times, but I admit I really like it. The thing I like best is that it doesn't really have a strong urgency component to it. What I mean is that sure, it's seasonal and ties to upcoming or current seasons, but most of the good articles within the pages are actually very interesting regardless of when I read them. I still have 1-2 year old issues that I'm just getting to, and I find the articles about specific athletes or events just as interesting as if I read them when they were new.

I don't need a big celebrity fix, so it's not about that - in fact I enjoy the articles about someone completely random as much as articles about people I recognize. It's an entertaining read.


USA Triathlon Life is a new one for me, as it came with my USA Triathlon membership late last year. I seriously can't get enough of it though. I even love the advertisements -- I'll spend significant time just gazing at the tri bikes being advertised for sale. I think my recent fascination with triathlon, especially the longer course races, is driving my intense interest in this magazine. It's a nice mix of telling about the sport's top racers, and providing a link to more normal people like me.






Bicycling Mag is one that I've read pretty religiously for a while now. I really like the road cycling specifics that this rag covers in excruciating detail. I eat up the riding, the training, the motivation, the do's and dont's, and just about everything they throw at me on the pages.

It's not the world's best magazine to keep you updated on the professional peloton, but I don't need that - I prefer something more for the common man, which is what this seems to be. Sure it has a fixation with all things Lance, but you get enough stuff applicable to reality that it's very useful and interesting. I covet the nice bikes and gear that grace its pages.

Don't like the cover "pose" factor that I'll talk more about below...



Bike Magazine is a new one for me - thanks Dave for the Christmas present! It's strictly mountain biking, and I don't mountain bike ... yet ... but that being said, I love the cross-over biking culture, and if I had the money to get the right Mtn bike, I'd be all over it - someday! The first issue I got was "the Bible of bike tests", so it was a perfect one to start with as it laid out all the variations of mountain biking specialties and the different kinds of bikes. Given that I don't mtn bike, I laughed at myself that I pored over every word of this magazine with intense interest.





Runner's World is a good magazine for runners. It tells interesting stories about big name runners - usually names I recognize from the world of elite running - as well as the average joe who has improved his or her life by running. I really like the training and nutrition tips, as well as the feature on interesting runs or races. It can get a little narrow in its focus, so I find myself browsing more than pouring over the pages.

One thing I really don't like is the "pose" factor on the covers - just put a nasty runner slogging through a long run in the rain on the cover, and I'll buy the magazine lots faster than a model pretending like they run

No comments: