Friday, January 8, 2010

Knee Drama

It's nice to have a brother who's a very good Sports Medicine doctor, but it's not nice when he is in the process of checking you over and he gets "the look". With most docs, you wouldn't know "the look" because you barely know him or her; but when your brother who you've spent your whole life with is the Dr and you see "the look", it's hard for him to cover it up. I got "the look" last week.

I had been having some knee pain in the front of my knee for a few months, and throughout December I started figuring out that I probably should take it easy with my exercising because of it. In talking through it with Spencer, he gave me a phone diagnosis of Patellar Tendinitis, and we resolved to have him take a closer look at it over Christmas when we were in town. That happened last week. He put the ultrasound on my knee, and within about one minute of his careful moving around and looking at images of the inside of my left knee, he got "the look". It was much worse than he had thought, and it has developed into Patellar Tendinosis, not to be confused with Patellar Tendinitis. Basically, due to the tendon trying unsuccessfully to heal itself over time from damage, it decided it would be best to form the scar tissue into bone, so I now have a good sized chunk of bone growing in my patellar tendon. That's not good. It's especially not good if you've already signed up for a big race that cost lots of non-refundable money, and you were supposed to start training this week.

We decided to take an aggressive approach to trying to heal it, so on Friday of last week he gave me a bunch of numbing shots, and then used a honkin' big (that's a technical term, I believe) needle and tried to go in, break up the bone, and suck it out through the needle. Alas, the bone was too hard, so the best he could do was try to promote healing and strength in the surrounding tendon by roughing that up. Mmm, that was lovely.

So here I am a week later. The knee has felt pretty decent after the initial two days of pain, and I'm just getting started in on the strengthening exercises. What really gets me is the uncertainty. I don't know what it means to have a piece of bone in my patellar tendon; I don't know if I have to get it taken out in order to do things without pain, I don't know if it is more likely to rupture if it's got a hunk of bone in it, and most importantly, I have no idea whether I'll be able to recover in time to do my race in June. Pretty crappy...

No comments: