Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Wednesday Update

Man, you should have seen Angela and Micah come in from the American Idol concert last night at 11pm. They were just beaming! It made me glad we chose to do that despite the expensive tickets, because they sure enjoyed it and couldn't stop talking about it. An extra neat thing is a couple of really great friends in our ward actually had backstage passes and they had promised to get some stuff signed for the girls. The word today is they've got some coveted autographs and some paraphernalia, so the girls are sure to be stoked. I'll put some pictures up when I have a second to download them from the digital camera (I was surprised they let Ang in with it!).

There's some weirdness going on at work. Recent developments have inspired the finance and accounting team to rethink where our resources are being used. As a result of this assessment, my Emerging Business team is going to be effectively disbanded, which was somewhat sudden but not entirely unwelcome. I am being given the opportunity to look around and figure out what I really want to be doing within Google, and I'm excited about it. I have had a few managers, including my own, come forward and offer positions, which is very nice, and I'll consider them as I explore a variety of options. I'm going to put feelers out in a fairly wide net and see what seems interesting and possible. I've felt very good about the changes from the initial meeting, and I continue to feel excited that this is opening other doors I might not have otherwise explored. I'll keep you posted!

Some of you (very few most likely) might be interested to know that Johan Bruyneel came to speak at Google today and I found it very interesting. He was the director of Lance Armstrong's cycling teams when he won all those Tour de France titles. He takes a lot of credit for Lance's success, and he's probably right, it was just a little surprising. Anyway, it was a nice hour break if nothing else.

No comments: