Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My How Things Have Changed...

For a long time in my life, this week was one full of anticipation and excitement for me. It is the week leading up to the Tour de France, and for years I was checking and rechecking stage schedules, evaluating all the top competitors and their chances of beating Lance, planning my own rides to emulate certain stages, etc.

But now, to illustrate how things have changed drastically, I just realized this morning that the TdF was probably set to start soon, and I actually had to look up on the Internet when things kicked off. I don't know who the favorites are, or even what teams are likely to be good. I do know who's NOT going to be there, and it looks eerily similar to the top competitor lists of the years where I was following closely. They're almost all gone for doping or performance-enhancing drug violations, although some chose "retirement" rather than the 2-year ban. In fact the entire sport of professional cycling is reeling right now as scandal after scandal has rocked the foundation of the sport, and has alienated all but the staunchest of fans.

I'll probably watch parts of the Tour this year, although with a completely different point of view than before. One of skepticism and waiting for the first suspension or failed test. Oh well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know just how you feel. When Roid Landis (and everyone else) was caught doping I lost all faith in Le Tour.