Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Obama

OK, for those of you who don't know, Google periodically has interesting people come in and speak and answer questions. Today was Barrack Obama, and here are my thoughts.

I was more impressed with Obama than I have been with all the other Democratic candidates I've seen. He seemed less slick and political, and yet in a twisted way that probably makes him more so of both of those, if you get my drift. He started off with a prepared speech of about 10 minutes, and I guess it would make some people happy because he used Google themes as the whole basis of his talk, but to me it smacked of pandering to the audience. Of course, they all would have done that, so that's not really a bad mark against him. He then sat down with our CEO and had a Q&A, including a few audience questions that were of the "Oh Barrack, we love you, blah blah blah" variety.

Obama talks big. He has a lot of things he throws out that he "will change when I'm president". Double spending on healthcare, double spending on science and research, faster broadband for all US citizens, greatly reduce the federal deficit, withdraw the troops out of Iraq (of course), eliminate all wiretaps and email reading (ironic, since many argue that's what Google basically does!), welcome immigrants in, personal presidential diplomacy with other countries, and eliminate the influence of special interest groups by making all laws at a big table while broadcasting on C-Span or over the internet (huh?). The one thought that kept charging through my head was, "oh great, they're going to raise taxes to pay for all this stuff..." Perhaps it's my ignorance when it comes to the actual workings of the political process, but I have doubts about his ability to make sweeping changes like that. He sounded like the candidate who promises big things and then hopes everyone forgets when it comes time to deliver.

One thing that did surprise me a little bit was he is much less vocal about the current administration's mistakes and problems than the others have been. He alluded to them and mentioned them periodically, but he didn't build his whole platform around them as Edwards and Richardson did.

Fundamentally, I disagree with almost all of what the democrats stand for - most of all abortion and increased taxes. However, if I had to vote for a democrat for president, I believe it would be Obama - especially if the alternative were Hillary. He struck me as very young, and probably too inexperienced in the political arena, but that may not necessarily be a bad thing. Maybe he could turn out to be great, and maybe our country will be better off after all if we just get the heck out of Iraq (and hopefully stay away from Iran and Pakistan...). Anyway, it's tough to get a flavor of a candidate after just one meeting, but he's impressive and doesn't seem like a bad person.

Perhaps he'll lose this election, but build political equity for the next one four years from now...

3 comments:

Cammi said...

John,
Thanks for the insightful comments. I agree that when candidates center their talk around "Google" themes - or toward whichever group they are currently speaking - it does seem like pandering. It's a little insulting to the intelligence. Obama does seem quite young but I'm starting to think that maybe it would be good - out with the old, in with the new. There are many things I like about him but it's always easiest to see what they are all made of when we get toward the end and the skeletons come out and the mud starts slinging. He does seem the most honest and open in answering quetions, though. Have you ever listened to the podcast of his speech on religion? It was very interesting.
Anyway - thanks for posting your insights. I'm sure it's much easier to get a "vibe" of someone from watching them speak in person. Let me know if you find the perfect candidate. Is Mitt coming to Google or do they only invite lefties?
Cammi

jamkmb said...

I would be surprised if Mitt shows up here, although they did have McCain come in (which unfortunately I was not able to attend). I would really like to see Mitt, Giuliani, and Hillary (who already came right before I joined the company).

Perfect candidate?...you probably know more than I do Cammi.

Cammi said...

I'm not sure there is a perfect candidate in the race right now. I've done a fair amount of reading on all of them but I imagine you get a good gut feel for them when you see them in a more private setting where they have to speak off the cuff a bit (like the Google speeches.) You're right - Hillary would have been a very interesting one to see in person. I can't imagine her acting casual. Let me know if anyone else does the speaking circuit at Google. I enjoy hearing your analysis of each one.