Wednesday, November 7, 2007

It's not even Mother's/Father's Day...

I had a really fun conversation with Mom and Dad R. the other evening as I was finishing up work and they were just sitting down to a feast at the Cheesecake Factory in Newport. It's so great to have fun parents, on both sides, who we can easily talk to and who support us and love us unconditionally. They care immensely about our kids, about our lives, about our living situations, about our jobs, about our safety, about us visiting, and about things that make us happy.

I thought I would post today about my Mom and Dad. They are so great! What's funny to me is that with all the successful, powerful, generous, and spiritual things they've done and are doing, the thing I care most about, and makes me the most happy, is just when we can talk and laugh and be ourselves together. We don't always get that because most of our conversations are over the phone, or over a choppy webcam, and it's not always easy to connect. But maybe that makes our real connections all the better, because they are not as common. I love when Mom laughs openly, and when she jokes and chatters about things that are fun. I love when Dad wants to hear about my job, or cares about sports, and can relate to things going on in my world. I love that Mom and Dad both care about eternal things, and I love that they both care about fun, dumb, temporal things as well sometimes. I guess what I'm trying to get across here, is that they are great, and normal, all rolled up in the same bundle. Sometimes you get the church leader side of them, and sometimes you get the total opposite - and it's awesome to get both sides at just the right time.

Anyway, thanks to Mom and Dad, and to Angela's parents as well, for being so involved in our lives, and in our kids' lives. Thanks for raising us well, and for not completely letting us go when we branched out on our own. We love you very much.

No comments: