Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Back on the wagon
I can relate to Jan Ullrich. For those of you who don't know who that is, he used to be one of the world's best cyclists before he retired because he was about to get busted for blood doping and other performance enhancing drugs. OK, I can't relate to the blood doping or drugs part (but if anyone knows any good Spanish doctors, I'm looking to boost my marathon time...). Anyways, Jan had a habit of finishing his cycling seasons strong, and then letting himself go - putting on weight, not training, living the good life - during the offseason. He invariably would come into camp the next year overweight and out of shape, and would have to spend the first few months of the season riding himself back into shape. Now THAT, I can relate to...
Post-marathon life is a beautiful time. You don't have to run if you don't want to, you don't have to watch what you eat (you think, at least...), you can bask in the accomplishment, and a few attaboys from co-workers and friends are always nice for the ego. Problem is, a couple weeks of indulgence turns into a couple of months, and next thing you know, you're fat, out of shape, and used to sleeping in. Usually it takes me at least through Christmas to come to this realization, but this year, I've peaked early - I never really got down to my "playing weight" and was in marginal shape at the race. And now that it's officially the offseason...I'm Jan Ullriching myself.
SO, here it is - I'm running again, working out at the gym, watching what I eat (aside from holidays, weekends, and when the urge REALLY hits), and feeling much better about myself. I'm motivated to work hard, and I'm a much happier person.
Just thought I'd share that with you.
Post-marathon life is a beautiful time. You don't have to run if you don't want to, you don't have to watch what you eat (you think, at least...), you can bask in the accomplishment, and a few attaboys from co-workers and friends are always nice for the ego. Problem is, a couple weeks of indulgence turns into a couple of months, and next thing you know, you're fat, out of shape, and used to sleeping in. Usually it takes me at least through Christmas to come to this realization, but this year, I've peaked early - I never really got down to my "playing weight" and was in marginal shape at the race. And now that it's officially the offseason...I'm Jan Ullriching myself.
SO, here it is - I'm running again, working out at the gym, watching what I eat (aside from holidays, weekends, and when the urge REALLY hits), and feeling much better about myself. I'm motivated to work hard, and I'm a much happier person.
Just thought I'd share that with you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment