Monday, November 26, 2007

7 lbs, 7 points, and 38 minutes

Where do you start after a weekend like that?

We had a great Thanksgiving holiday, which, while we weren't with our families, we were surrounded by many friends who are our adopted family. The bottom line is that I think I must have gained at least 7 pounds with all the food I ate, and I'm guessing I'm not alone in that respect. It started off of course with a great T-giving feast of turkey, taters, stuffing, yams & apples, cranberry sauce, orange rolls, regular rolls, salad, apple pie, and pumpkin pie. If it had ended there, that would have been enough to sustain me for the entire remainder of the weekend. But the madness continued when Angela put on an outstanding Asian dinner for our dinner group friends the next evening: beef & broccoli, sweet & sour chicken, sticky rice, brown rice, PF Chang's lettuce wraps, pot stickers, Chinese chicken salad, and the pies left over from the night before. Talk about a flaxen cord! But it was good to be with everyone, and especially we were grateful for each member of our little family.

And then there were the sports. A 7 point come-from-behind-in-the-last-minute win by the Cougs over the Utes in football made my year - again. As I said to my brothers in an email this morning, anytime you can beat the Utes at anything, it's great; but if you can tear out their hearts and stomp on them at the same time, all the better! Sorry Matt D, Sam, and everyone else who hasn't been converted to greatness yet. How could it get better I ask you? Well, the Cougs bball team beat the #6 team in the country, and hung dang tough with the #1 team in the land for 38 minutes of hard ball until they hit the proverbial wall. Good times ahead for our athletic teams. Angela asked me after the football game if I was going to lead off our Christmas DVD with that as I did last year...you never know, my friend, you never know...

It was also great to chat with my old friend and former roommate, Craig Mortensen, on Saturday. He and Krista were some of our closest friends in college, and still that way except for the fact that we talk about once every five years or so. Regardless, it's great to have awesome friends.

I'm reading an amazing book called The Blindside, by Michael Lewis. It's a football related book, but I would recommend it to anyone. I haven't finished, so I'll reserve too much comment until I'm done, but it's really good - you should check it out.

And finally, we feel really festive after attending the Festival of Lights last night with a bunch of our ward friends. It's a big holiday parade that serves as an official kickoff to the Christmas season and festivities. No tree or decorations at our house yet, but we're shooting for this weekend to get going on that.

Hope you all are well.

3 comments:

samandbrodi said...

I would appreciate it if you would not talk about the U-Y game on your blog anymore. I am trying to erase yet another late game loss to the team in blue.

Anonymous said...

John, if you don't like the pre-game hype the week leading up to the game be very glad you aren't here for the week following the game. I have never heard such whining and crying in my life. U fan has excuses for everything. Wah wah wah. Blah blah blah. It's a little surprising just how many people in the local media here (particularly sports radio) are U fans. It's like no one outside of KSL will show any support for the Cougs. Anyway, it was a great game and I was lucky enough to be about 20 rows directly up from where Harvey scored the winning touchdown.

jamkmb said...

Ugh, I forgot about all the bittermen who complain about the game after the fact. The refs screwed us, the team cheated, the fans were lame, the scoreboard was wrong, the commentators were biased, the stadium food stunk, I could only smuggle 7 mini bottles into the game, etc., etc., etc.

Glad I can just smile to myself knowing the Cougs won, and I don't have to explain or defend anything.