skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Sports stuff
Let me sum it up for you: The sport I love most is less appealing to me than ever, and the sport I rarely care about has captured my complete attention. That happens when "your" team is either good or bad.
- Major League Baseball - or more specifically, the SF Giants: I like the Giants. I've liked the Giants ever since Barry Bonds left. They're a scrappy team with great pitching, a sweet ballpark, cool caps, great alternative Friday-night old school pumpkin orange jerseys, but they usually can't hit, and they can't score runs. I listen to games all the time on my way home from work, or maybe catch an at-bat or two on TV after the kids go to bed, but until this year, I have not been very focused on seeing them play unless I was sitting at the ballpark with a Brat in hand. This year has changed that as they've proved to be good enough to challenge for a division pennant, and a spot in the playoffs. That hasn't happened in a lot of years, and it's pretty exciting - even to the point that I'll actually sit down and watch near-complete games, or at least large portions of games, and really care if the Giants win. Six games to go, and they're currently leading their division --- PLEASE tell me I didn't just jinx their chances!!!!!
- BYU Football and College Football in general: This is by far my favorite sport and team. This also makes it by far the most frustrating when they stink up the joint. I know, I know, they had moments where they looked good in a couple of their recent losses, but still... It's not that I'm spitting mad, it's more that I care a lot less now that they're ordinary. I'm definitely not a fair weather fan - I still watch and agonize - but I've realized I care less about it with all the uncertainty around how good they are, how they'll do on any given Saturday, what the nation thinks about them, etc. Not worth worrying about right now. And to have Texas play terribly last Saturday just sort of killed my other football team cheering motivation too. Uggh.
- NFL Football: I actually care about the SF 49ers because it's my local team, and I love football, period. But they're just downright bad - at least they've played that way this season. Today they just fired their Offensive Coordinator, which usually means a tough year ahead. The normally staunch defense has been swiss cheese, so they really have no chance because their QB stinks.
- Utah Jazz: and somewhere in the middle is usually the NBA. I'm actually pretty interested in the start of this season because of the new players the Jazz picked up, and the new good feelings that seem to be floating around the team with the changes. Problem is, they're not even my hometown team, so it feels a little funny calling myself a "Jazz fan". I don't know, do I still qualify if I don't actually see that many games during the season?
1 comment:
You gotta love the Giants. I grew up as a HUGE Giants fan. I could listen to KNBR in Salt Lake City at night (only at night, I guess because of the sound waves traveling better at night) and would go to sleep every night listening to them play.
We would also try and make a trip out to SF every year to catch a few games...or out to Arizona to watch some Spring training ball. Good times and I am jealous you get to go pretty much whenever you want.
Post a Comment