Saturday, October 2, 2010

Hello Saturday, October 2

Six months ago today I had my knee surgery.  Seems like it hasn't been that long, but I'm definitely glad to be on this side of it than the other.  While it generally feels good, I have only just started going out on some tentative, short runs this past week.  It's ok that it takes a while to heal fully, as long as it does...


This morning is a big tradition for our family.  For many years we have been in St George, UT for the wonderful and challenging St George marathon.  I have run it 8 times, Angela has done it 6.  It's funny how we really miss being there this year.  So in honor of our good times there, and in early preparation for next year when I WILL be back there, here are my favorite memories of STG:

  • The training - it has to start with the training - long, laborious, fun when with good running partners
  • The anticipation - starts really building on the drive out there
  • The Expo - fighting the crowds and parking congestion (especially if you go late in the day on Friday), always seem to see old friends, fun to browse the booths, and of course, getting the race packet & timing chip mean it's finally real
  • The dinner - fretting about what to eat, and where - in the end being happy to stay at the condo and cook a good normal dinner
  • The race prep - laying out clothes and gear, pinning number to jersey, arranging gels, maybe going over a pace chart if feeling like the next day could be fast
  • The down time - hard to go to bed too early, so maybe watch a movie, a game, anything to relax
  • The fitful night - not too much sleep, seems like as soon as you start actually sleeping the alarm goes off in the total dark
  • The bus - getting to Worthen Park, usually with some degree of stress to not miss the buses, boarding a bus for the drive up Snow Canyon, wishing I hadn't started hydrating already, wishing I had an empty Gatorade bottle for emergency use because I had started hydrating already
  • The starting line - music, lights, bonfires, a long row of port-o-lets, people everywhere, lots of nervous energy and jitters, sometimes freezing, sometimes not too bad, meeting friends, waiting in line at the 'Lets, stripping off layers, throwing the clothing bag into the Uhaul, feeling uncomfortable in all my lubed regions, stretching cold muscles, fighting into the crowds all cramming over to the road, trying not to lose friends and running partners, getting watch ready, wishing I'd used the 'Let one more time, wondering how I was going to actually run with all those people around
  • The Horn - hearing the horn go off, the crowd slowly starting to inch forward, the surreal feeling of "wow, I guess this is when I start running after all these months...", seeing the starting banner and timing pad approaching, hitting Start on my watch as I cross the start line, and here we go
  • The race - starting in the dark wishing it was a little lighter, winding and gently rolling hills for the first 6 miles, pulling over once or twice to water the sage brush, coming down into the tiny town of Veyo for the first spectators, Veyo hill looming, slogging up Veyo hill, cresting Veyo hill and feeling the sun for the first time, realizing it's going to be a hot day, dreading the long slow 3-mile steady incline through Dameron valley, wishing it was darker, making it to the top of Dameron Valley, anticipating Snow Canyon where family and friends will greet you, running down into Snow already feeling tired and maybe a little cramping starting to peak through, stopping for a quick drink and hug from the fam, pushing through the wall at mile 18, starting to anticipate running down into the city as you near miles 21 and 22, super steep hills - both up and down - that really hurt, some years hitting full leg cramp mode that requires a few unplanned walking sessions, dropping down into St George amid the spectators and heat, concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other, seeing runners sitting on the street or curb, pushing on because you have to, rounding seemingly endless twists and turns, and all of a sudden there's the finish line, the longest slightly uphill finishing straight known to man, the crowds cheering wildly on either side of the barriers, the announcer calling out names as you near the timing pad, crossing the finish line with arms raised, the glorious feeling of being able to stop, volunteers cutting off your timing chip, putting a medal around your neck, enjoying the coolness of the misters, heading for the food
  • The food - Great Harvest bread is my favorite if I have the energy to eat, more liquids, a banana and other fruit
  • The park - grabbing a massage ticket, searching for family and friends, taking pictures, staying cool or staying warm - depending on the year, rejoicing or agonizing over the run - again depending on the year
  • The massage - painful, heaven
  • The end

No comments: