Wednesday, February 24, 2010
The Fragility of Life
Less than 6 weeks ago, my former mission companion and friend, Jake Hoffman, was diagnosed with cancer, and he talked optimistically about beating it even though it was going to be a long journey. Yesterday he died. Not living close to Jake, I didn't know that his body reacted badly to chemotherapy, and I didn't know he was on life support. I knew he had cancer, but I didn't think it would take him, let alone this soon.
Jake was one of those people who could make anyone laugh. He was goofy and funny and confident and vulnerable all rolled into one likable personality. I really feel sad that I will no longer benefit from his wit and charm. I also really feel sad that I had a lot of thoughts to go visit him over Christmas break before he knew of his illness, and I didn't do it. What a missed opportunity.
I spent one month on my mission with Jake in a run down little mining town in the middle of Nowhere Australia called Broken Hill, or affectionately referred to as "Broken Hell". I'm not sure that I would have stayed sane there without Hoffy, and I'm very thankful for that.
I wear a Livestrong bracelet, which is to celebrate cancer survivors in my life - Dad most particularly. Now it also will help remind me to live strong for Jake too.
I'm a better person for having known Jake Hoffman.
Jake was one of those people who could make anyone laugh. He was goofy and funny and confident and vulnerable all rolled into one likable personality. I really feel sad that I will no longer benefit from his wit and charm. I also really feel sad that I had a lot of thoughts to go visit him over Christmas break before he knew of his illness, and I didn't do it. What a missed opportunity.
I spent one month on my mission with Jake in a run down little mining town in the middle of Nowhere Australia called Broken Hill, or affectionately referred to as "Broken Hell". I'm not sure that I would have stayed sane there without Hoffy, and I'm very thankful for that.
I wear a Livestrong bracelet, which is to celebrate cancer survivors in my life - Dad most particularly. Now it also will help remind me to live strong for Jake too.
I'm a better person for having known Jake Hoffman.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment