Friday, February 12, 2010

The Greatest Perk of All Time

Nope, it's not the free gourmet food (although you'd get a big argument from, well, almost everyone... justifiably so). It's the fact that I can swim during the work day, any time I want, in one of the Google endless pools. It is SO different from swimming in a lap pool because you never stop when you hit a wall. I set the speed at somewhere between 2.5 and 3 mph, depending on how I'm feeling, swim for 30-40 min, and be back to my desk all within at hour. The weather here helps too - I can swim straight through the winter, outdoors, and even though it's a little chilly before I get in, the water is just right, and when I get out I'm always over-heating anyway so the cool air feels good. There have been a few days in which I swam in the rain, but that's actually fun. And here's the thing - not that many people at Google use them. You'd think they'd be hard to get time in, but they're not. Of the 17 times I've swam so far this year, I've only ever had to wait for a pool one time.

This alone may be enough to keep me at Google for the rest of my employable life...

No comments: