Thursday, December 4, 2008

Foiled by Bishopric Visits

I have some personal goals in the area of fitness that I'm trying to reach.  In order to achieve them, I've resolved that I need to eat better.  So coming off of Thanksgiving weekend, I haven't eaten any sugar or sweets for a few days.  It's mostly an issue at night because I realized I like to grab a few treatskies as the night winds down and I sit down to relax.  I'm not going crazy with this, so don't get all Woodward and Bernstein if you see me indulging in something sweet and sinful, I just want to get into the mindset of not having sweets unless I really need them.  And to be honest, I had visions of lasting until the Christmas holiday started, which would have been a good few weeks of self discipline.  And then came last night.  I was out with the Bishop doing our weekly visits, and this really nice couple offered us homemade goodies.  Bishop readily accepted as my mind jumped into overdrive on how to decline without offending or making it a big deal, but before I knew it I was the center of attention with expectant eyes looking at me, and I caved.  Not because I wanted the treat, but only (seriously) because I was in "duty" mode.  So now, back on the horse today...

And on a separate topic, I finally broke down after nearly two years working at Google and scheduled a massage today.  I've been exercising pretty regularly and my muscles have been feeling tight and a bit sore, so I thought it would be a good idea to use my free massage coupon from last year's birthday (yep, 358 days ago) before it expired next week.  Let me tell you - whoever said massages are relaxing was flat out lying.  I was in pain from the word 'go'... the lady who did it was obviously trained in the art of agony therapy, and believe me, it's impossible to relax when you're getting cranked on.  The worst parts were my back muscles and my quads.  When I played rugby at Texas, I sustained a deep thigh bruise right before a critical tournament.  The coach sent me to a physical therapist for a deep tissue massage in which he proceeded to actually try and break up the deep bruise by force (child birth, shmild birth!).  Today's experience was only a slight step below that forgetful experience.  I'm going to be sore for a week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I forgot to wish you Happy Birthday! So Happy belated Birthday to you! Make sure to drink plenty of water after a massage. Massages help release all kinds of toxins etc.. from your muscles and the water helps move them along, from what I've been told. You must've gotten a deep tissue massage, swedish massages are much gentler. I got one on my honeymoon and it was great! Then they put me in steam room that was all white tile and I closed my eyes for a minute and breathed in the steam and when I opened them, I couldn't see a thing but white steam and it gave me clostrophobia and I had to feel the wall till I found the door to get outta there before I started freaking out! Seriously, a hot steamy room that you can't see anything but white is freaky!