Friday, December 19, 2008

"Holidays Don't Count..."

Does anyone else live by the creed, "Holidays don't count", when it comes to watching what you eat?  I mean, I won't say I become a world-class glutton or anything, but as has been proven over the last week or two, this is the WORST time of year for someone trying to control sugar intake, in addition to any number of comfort foods.  We have been the grateful recipients of an amazing quantity of cookies, toffees, chocolates, candy, and other holiday treats, not to mention about four gingerbread houses we've had on the counter calling me subliminally every time I walk by.  So yeah, in my little world, the holidays really don't count, and they officially started about a week and a half ago.  I did my best this morning to live up to this way of living by consuming two donuts, eggs and bacon for breakfast - heavenly, but not listed anywhere on the Jenny Craig ok-to-eat list.  Oh well, Mormon guys are supposed to get fat, right? 

But not all is lost, I have been on a bit of an exercise kick, so I think I'm at least maintaining a weight that I'm not proud of, but it's not clinically obese either.  I've been doing quite a bit of swimming and biking (trainer, garage) and it has been very enjoyable (moreso once I'm done).  Some basketball scattered in is great too.  In fact last night I played, and I was more tired than I've been in a looong time after that run.  I swam at lunch too, so that was a heavy sweat day for me.

Looks like tomorrow's the travel day as the weather looks pretty bad all along I-80 starting Sunday and pretty much lasting into the foreseeable future.  Tomorrow looks reasonably good for travel, so we're scrambling to get everything ready to get out the door pretty early tomorrow morning.  I'm actually looking forward to the drive in that unexplainably, weird sort of way in which there's no logical explanation why I'm excited, but I just am.

And finally, I just want to tell you how great Angela is.  You may already know this, but she's the best!  She does so much for the kids, for me, for our home, for the school, for her friends, for others in need...  I'm not sure how she does it, I'm just grateful for her in every way.  I'm not sure how I got so lucky as to end up with her, but I'm holding tight.  She's awesome!

No comments: