Monday, December 1, 2008

Post Thanksgiving Thoughts

The number one thing I am most grateful for in this life is family.

First and foremost my own little family.  How can I quantify the depth of their meaning to me?  I don't think it's possible.  I am blessed beyond belief to have five people who really love me no matter what.  This last week has been awesome for me.  Being home during the days gave me a chance to become Brig's best buddy again, and he rewarded me richly for my attention.  We had many play times together, and times where he would just come climb on my lap and do whatever I was doing, or times when out of the blue he would just say quietly, "Dad, I love you so much." How does it get any better than that?  Micah, Kennan, and Morgan were sweet this week too.  They played nicely most of the time we were together, and they tried hard to be happy and helpful.  Our family is like any family where we have ups and downs, but when we're all happy and helping and showing love, I would bet there aren't too many families that are blessed by each other as much as we are.

I'm also really grateful for my family.  My parents are the best, and how great is it to have 5 brothers and 2 sisters, with all their spouses and children?  Big families can be hectic at times, but when you have that many best friends, it sure is great.  It's this amazing support structure that is always there, whether or not you talk or see each other all the time.  I know at any point if I need something, or have good news, or just want to reach out - they'll always be ready to help, rejoice, commiserate, whatever.

Same thing for Angela's family.  I'm so grateful to be part of another awesome family where the prevailing feeling is one of love and unity.  Through hard times and good times, they stick together and help out.  We're lucky to have each one of them as family, and I hope we add as much to their lives as they do to ours.

And speaking of family, I have to tell you this.  I've been riding my bike trainer out in the garage pretty frequently lately, and to pass the hours (ok, minutes...) I've been watching videos on a small TV.  Because it's a VCR/TV combo, I have to use video tapes, and so my selection is pretty small at home.  I decided to watch some old family videos from when I was 11 years old (Nov. 1983 - exactly 25 years ago), and it is an absolute riot.  Highlights include the following: Nate (5) trying to hit a non-moving pinata with a stick and completely whiffing multiple times; Matt getting mad at Spencer when he did move the same pinata when Matt swung; Nate giving a primary talk (picture big glasses and the "R's"); me giving a school report about Egypt and my current self thinking the whole time "Micah would think I'm such as idiot!"; 90% of the time the boys all having wooden guns in their hands; Mom trying to ignore the camera while doing a super-serious family home evening lesson; little Danny - everything about him.  It's some quality entertainment, and like I said, it makes the time go by much faster.

1 comment:

Matt and Becca said...

Hilarious! It makes me want to watch those again now. We're excited you guys decided to come for part of the break and can't wait to see you!