Wednesday, December 10, 2008
The Big Man's Birthday
I'm not one to make a big deal out of my own birthday. In fact, as each successive year goes by, I am less and less excited about being the center of attention on my birthday. It's not out of some sort of "denial of my birthday will keep me younger than I am", it's more like I just don't need all the attention.
Today was my 37th birthday. Morgan informed me I should be 38 because the day I was born was my first birthday - well I will actually decline that invitation and cling to 37 for as long as I can. The kids and Angela have made it a really nice day. We started with our traditional donut birthday breakfast, and then it was off to work. It was a normal day for me at work - Ang had been planning on a birthday lunch with me but a couple of the kids were sick so she had to stay home...oh well. After work we all went to Armadillo Willeys for a fun BBQ (and I use that term loosely here in California) dinner with the whole fam. Remarkably, everyone felt better when it came time to go to dinner. The kids then gave me a few small but really thoughtful gifts, and it was a great evening together.
Another great thing I have to admit was the chance I had to catch up with family members as they emailed and called. I have a great, great family, and I love them all very much. I guess birthdays are great after all because they enable (or force?) us to reach out and share some love and thoughts. It's been an awesome day.
And one of the gifts I asked for from Angela was this: sit down with me and watch a movie without doing anything else for the entire time: no folding laundry, no addressing Christmas cards, no checking email, no calling anyone, no answering the phone, no checking homework, no school PTA stuff, no nothing ... just her, me, and the movie. And we're about to start, so I'm out...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Happy Birthday John. You are an old man! Thats awesome.
happy birthday oldie! you sure are getting up there in years...
i only can say that because i'll always be 10 years younger than you.. although i'm starting to feel old too..
Hope you had a great one! We were at Nutcracker until late... you've had a great 37 years, can't wait to see what else you accomplish in your life. Thanks for your great example.
Hey John!
Happy Birthday, you geezer!
I love your gift request to Ang, although you didn't include "no falling asleep," which is Nate's biggest gripe with me these days.
Tell your kids hello, and we'll talk soon.
Jenny
Post a Comment