Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First day of school

There was an audible buzz around our house this morning as the kids anticipated and prepared for their first day of school today. That buzz, however, was nothing compared to the screeching smoke alarm that went off a few times last night, waking up our whole family and scaring the tar out of Kennan and Brig (well, Kennan scared Brig by being so scared). You know how you are jolted out of sleep by a noise like that and you have no idea what it is? I was up walking around for a 1/2 hour trying to figure out where the intermittent noise came from - it was so loud it was very hard to isolate its source. I finally found it, and put it out of commission. Problem was, my adrenaline was through the roof, and with Brig now squirming in our bed, I could kiss a good night's sleep goodbye.

But back to the school day. It was fun to see the kids all dressed in their new shoes and new clothes, sporting their new or only slightly used backpacks, and up earlier than they have been all summer. It's a fun time for them.

My running is really struggling. I'm fighting off some aches and pains, and it just seems very hard for me lately to put together any good consistent efforts. It's hard to get up for running in the morning when your feet/legs hurt just to walk to the bathroom, you're running alone, and you haven't felt good running recently. I just need to put together a few more good weeks and then I can hopefully feel good about at least finishing St. George. The marathon this year is not going to be a fast one - just hoping I can stay under 4 hours!

Still digging the Olympics...

No comments: