Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley

Most of you who read our blog will know already of the passing of our beloved prophet and church president, President Gordon B. Hinckley. Most of you will have similar thoughts to ours as we reflect on a great and humble man, one who led us and cared for us, one who we will miss greatly. It is strange to mourn when a 97 year old man passes away of natural causes. And I guess I wouldn't call it mourning, how we are feeling, I would call it more a general gratitude that we had him as our prophet as long as we did. It's a feeling of love, and that there is so much about him that we will miss, but as I think more about it, it's not really mourning.

My mother-in-law called about an hour after he had passed away, and my first thought was, this last hour was probably the happiest he has ever had. He has been reunited with his beloved wife who preceded him in death, and certainly many other loved ones and relatives. He is free of his old, worn body that finally had started betraying him. And of course, he is enfolded in the Arms of Love. What a great prospect, to be living solely at the will of the Lord, and ready and anxious to go when He decides it is time. It makes me want to be a better person.

And to me, that last statement is the essence of President Hinckley. He has always made me want to be a better person. He was funny, and witty, and humble, and stern, and compassionate, and serious, and many more genuinely real things, all in their proper time and place. I truly looked forward to his words in Conference, and knew that I would come away enriched, chastened, renewed, and motivated. I always did.

I'm so grateful for the unashamed courage he consistently showed in answering tough questions in the public light. He didn't shy away from opportunities to open our doors to reporters and people who wanted to understand the things we believe. He embraced those times, and always came out in power and humility with the truth. Even compared to some of the other church leaders, he seemed to me to be so unassuming, so unaffected, so genuine, that I listened raptly to his counsel. How could you not love that man and all he stood for?

I'm grateful for the last 13 years in which he was our prophet. If there's anyone out there reading these words who doesn't know what President Hinckley stood for, or why he was such a great man, I encourage you to find out. President Hinckley, we will miss you.

No comments: