Monday, October 8, 2007
Hey There
Well, I think it was a successful trip to St. George. We drove out there Thursday night, arriving around 1:30 in the morning, and enjoyed sleeping in on Friday morning. We relaxed Friday, hitting tennis balls with the girls in the morning before the high winds came. The marathon expo in the afternoon was fun, and it really made Angela wish that she was running. I can relate from times I've been there in a supporting role...although during the race I wondered why anyone would want to do that...
We had a great pre-race dinner on Friday night of pasta, chicken veggies, salad, and bread with a lot of fun aunts and uncles and cousins. It was so fun to be with them - probably the best part of our trip overall.
To the race: I did fine. Of course it was hard, and I got tired, but I was able to run the race without the severe leg cramps I usually get, and my time of 3:43 was actually faster than I had predicted I would run this year. The best part was running with a couple of old friends - Matt for the first 1/2 of the race, and Darek, who I unexpectedly ran into at mile 16 and we ran the rest of the race together. It was so fun to see people I only get to see once a year at most.
The hardest part of the whole trip was being away from Micah. We were so sad to receive her homesick calls Friday and Saturday night as she had returned tired from her week field trip and just needed a family and parents to be with her. We felt miserable as we wished so badly we had planned a little differently. Our friends with whom she stayed were all so kind, but it's just not the same as family. We left early Sunday morning, drove faster than I should have, and got home around 5pm Sunday to give huge hugs to our Micah. It was so great to be together again. The other kids traveled amazingly well, and it was a fun trip.
We have some catching up to do on Conference, but at some point I'll give some of my impressions of this year's talks and my feelings. We're so lucky to have this semi-annual opportunity to be uplifted by the church leaders.
I'm very sore ... thank goodness we live on the ground floor.
We had a great pre-race dinner on Friday night of pasta, chicken veggies, salad, and bread with a lot of fun aunts and uncles and cousins. It was so fun to be with them - probably the best part of our trip overall.
To the race: I did fine. Of course it was hard, and I got tired, but I was able to run the race without the severe leg cramps I usually get, and my time of 3:43 was actually faster than I had predicted I would run this year. The best part was running with a couple of old friends - Matt for the first 1/2 of the race, and Darek, who I unexpectedly ran into at mile 16 and we ran the rest of the race together. It was so fun to see people I only get to see once a year at most.
The hardest part of the whole trip was being away from Micah. We were so sad to receive her homesick calls Friday and Saturday night as she had returned tired from her week field trip and just needed a family and parents to be with her. We felt miserable as we wished so badly we had planned a little differently. Our friends with whom she stayed were all so kind, but it's just not the same as family. We left early Sunday morning, drove faster than I should have, and got home around 5pm Sunday to give huge hugs to our Micah. It was so great to be together again. The other kids traveled amazingly well, and it was a fun trip.
We have some catching up to do on Conference, but at some point I'll give some of my impressions of this year's talks and my feelings. We're so lucky to have this semi-annual opportunity to be uplifted by the church leaders.
I'm very sore ... thank goodness we live on the ground floor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
John---you're truly amazing. I can't believe you did it AGAIN!! I am still resting on my laurels having run it once AGES ago. Maybe I'm a one-timer...LAME! :) Good job. Glad you made it home safely. Miss you guys...
good job on another marathon!
i don't think i'll ever being doing one, but maybe a half at most.
glad you are all reunited with micah!
Post a Comment