Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Political Mumbo Jumbo

One of the interesting things about working at Google is I get a unique opportunity to see a wide variety of speakers come to the company to present their message. The best one I've seen lately is Grete Waitz, the best women's marathoner of all time. But equally as interesting in an "I can't believe people are actually buying this" sort of way are the presidential candidates who swing through and give their spiel. Since I've been here, John McCain, John Edwards, and Bill Richardson have all spoken. Here are some thoughts...

I'm blown away by how fickle politics can be. It really is just a game of spouting whatever the current hot topic is, and either jumping on the bandwagon for or against depending on the tide of public opinion. The Democrats are obviously very forceful against the war, and against anything President Bush has done or stood for. To be honest, their speeches and platforms remind me of the Jr. High and High School campaigns where they promise the world without offering anything by way of how they'd actually accomplish stuff. I catch myself chuckling because I expect the next words to be "...rootbeer in the drinking fountains..."

So I finally broke down and donated a little bit of money to Mitt Romney's campaign. I did this for two reasons - 1) so people would stop asking me for donations, and 2) because I think he's the candidate who most closely matches my personal ideals and fits what I hope our President can be. I have been pleased to see him picking up steam in some of the critical polls, and I was also surprised to see that he has raised the most money among Republicans. Support whomever you want - this is definitely NOT a plea for you to contribute to Mitt, or to try and say you should do anything. I just wanted to mention that I've been impressed with him and his campaign so far, taken as a whole... that's all.

3 comments:

Cammi said...

John & Angela,

I love your blog! So - I wish you would have been able to sneak me into Google for the candidate meetings. Angela knows I am a political JUNKIE! Did you think Gov. Richardson was more honest and less "high school campaigner" than the other two? He seems so. Maybe because he isn't a front runner so he has less to lose by being more honest. I'm getting pressured to contribute money to Mitt Romney but it seems odd that someone like me is giving money to a gazillionaire. Also, I'm still trying to come to peace with his flip-flopping. But I do like several things about him. If any other candidates are invited to Google, please give me a full report! I love this stuff.

Sorry to hear you all had the flu/colds. We had it here, too. Not fun in the summer! When everyone is well, let's get together.

jamkmb said...

Great insights Cammi. Here are a few thoughts:
1) Gov. Richardson seemed less of a campaigner and a little more straight forward, but he also seemed somewhat naive in that his answer to everything was "diplomacy". He really harped on the "let's talk it through in a diplomatic way" message and I'm not sure that's the answer to everything. I think he's really campaigning at this point to get the VP slot in a Democratic ticket.
2) I had two questions re: contributing to Mitt...why has he been flip-flopping, and how will my money be used (NO NEGATIVE CAMPAIGN ADDS!). I have come to a reasonable level of comfort on the changing positions because of the state he led as Governor. He ultimately had to take a softer stance on some issues in order to uphold the law, regardless of his personal feelings. In going back and looking at some of his statements, I think he actually tried to make a distinction between his personal views vs. the laws he would uphold as Gov/Pres. That's how I got somewhat comfortable with his supposed changing stances. As for the money thing - I only donated because I expect him to pay me back with interest...that's how it works, isn't it? ;-)

Cammi said...

You're right, John. Gov. Richardson does always talk about "diplomatic" resolutions - I think his international experience is the only thing that sets him apart from the others so he just wants to bring it up constantly. Good insight on the VP thing - I hadn't thought of that being his end-goal but you are most likely correct.

As for Mitt, I do realize that he had to soften his stance for Massachusetts. And to be fair, he never completely sold himself out to do it. I just like poeple who say 100% true what they really believe - even if it won't get them elected. Isn't integrity more important than gaining higher office? BUT - he never really crossed the line into saying he was for something he wasn't - he just made the line a little gray. I think he has appeared the most presidential in the debates and I do agree with much of what he says. It's still so far until the election that I can't imagine what's going to happen (whose skeletons will be dragged out of the closet, etc.) as we get closer. I think my final decision factor as we near the election will have to be who can best deal with the Iraq mess and our international relationships. All of the other issues seem less relevant when I read the reports of how many young American soldiers are dying each day. So, we'll see what each candidate has to say about that and go from there....It seems like Mitt's specialty is breaking down failing organizations and fixing them. So, maybe he's the right guy for the job?
If more candidates come to Google, please fill me in on your personal response to them. I imagine it's pretty easy to assess their intentions (fake vs. sincere) when they are up close and personal.