Friday, May 6, 2011
Busy Weekend Coming Up
It's dang hard just to keep up with my life, let alone with this blog. So that's my excuse for not being more active in writing. We've had a good week, but I'll admit it'll be very nice when life slows down a little bit. Aside from the normal hustle and bustle of life, we also had a fun date with Mom and Dad on Monday night, Kennan's Hope of America concert on Tuesday night, I went to SLC to build more furniture Wed night, last night Angela and I were at our new house until after 1 am working on our latest project (more below), tonight Ang and the kids are going to a play in Bountiful followed by a sleepover at cousins while I work on the project again, tomorrow we have a niece's baptism, a baby blessing, an important rugby game and BYU rugby alumni even, lots more work on the house project, and other stuff I can't even remember.
So the house... it's going great, and scary fast. I say scary because it will reintroduce us to real life - mortgage payment, utility bills, home maintenance & repairs, etc. ... and we can't wait. Our friends in CA built a beautiful house a while back and they had an artist come in and paint a really cool pattern on their hardwood entry floor. Angela got it in her mind that our house will just not be complete without doing something similar at our place, and so I was commissioned as the artist in charge of ruining the beautiful hardwood floor ... err, painting the floor. Here's a tip for all you aspiring floor painters - the actual painting is the easy part. Laying out and scaling the pattern, and then taping off the floor, were 5 hours worth of back-breaking labor last night. I'm not kidding, I feel like I ran a marathon yesterday. I'm sore, tired, and grumpy because I have to go back onto my hands and knees tonight for sanding and then painting a second coat. And all this without the sure knowledge that it will actually look somewhat decent...
We could be in our house in two weeks. Yep, less than three months after breaking ground, we are doing final walkthrough next week, and we should close the following week. Did I mention we're excited?
Micah found out today that she won Centennial Middle School's "Centennial Idol" competition, that included singing a number of songs over weeks of eliminations, until she competed in the finals yesterday. It's no surprise to us, but we're happy for her because it was fun for her to show her talents. Kennan and Micah were also in a dance competition with their cousins and dance teams last weekend, and -- somewhat surprisingly to me -- they both brought home first place awards in their team's categories. Both are good dancers, but the thing that sticks out to me are their genuine smiles and happiness at doing something they love.
Morgan took first place in her most recent swim meet in the IM, and didn't win in butterfly but she was competing against much older kids in the 12 and under division. Frankly, I'm just impressed she can swim 50 meters of 'fly... She's a super good little swimmer and we're excited to support her in daily workouts.
Brig is officially outgrowing his clothes. He was walking around today in jeans up to his ankles, and a t-shirt that had to be size 3 - up to his belly button and hugging his armpits. Ok, it wasn't quite that bad, but it's definitely time for new gear.
This is already much longer than I planned. I'm out.
So the house... it's going great, and scary fast. I say scary because it will reintroduce us to real life - mortgage payment, utility bills, home maintenance & repairs, etc. ... and we can't wait. Our friends in CA built a beautiful house a while back and they had an artist come in and paint a really cool pattern on their hardwood entry floor. Angela got it in her mind that our house will just not be complete without doing something similar at our place, and so I was commissioned as the artist in charge of ruining the beautiful hardwood floor ... err, painting the floor. Here's a tip for all you aspiring floor painters - the actual painting is the easy part. Laying out and scaling the pattern, and then taping off the floor, were 5 hours worth of back-breaking labor last night. I'm not kidding, I feel like I ran a marathon yesterday. I'm sore, tired, and grumpy because I have to go back onto my hands and knees tonight for sanding and then painting a second coat. And all this without the sure knowledge that it will actually look somewhat decent...
We could be in our house in two weeks. Yep, less than three months after breaking ground, we are doing final walkthrough next week, and we should close the following week. Did I mention we're excited?
Micah found out today that she won Centennial Middle School's "Centennial Idol" competition, that included singing a number of songs over weeks of eliminations, until she competed in the finals yesterday. It's no surprise to us, but we're happy for her because it was fun for her to show her talents. Kennan and Micah were also in a dance competition with their cousins and dance teams last weekend, and -- somewhat surprisingly to me -- they both brought home first place awards in their team's categories. Both are good dancers, but the thing that sticks out to me are their genuine smiles and happiness at doing something they love.
Morgan took first place in her most recent swim meet in the IM, and didn't win in butterfly but she was competing against much older kids in the 12 and under division. Frankly, I'm just impressed she can swim 50 meters of 'fly... She's a super good little swimmer and we're excited to support her in daily workouts.
Brig is officially outgrowing his clothes. He was walking around today in jeans up to his ankles, and a t-shirt that had to be size 3 - up to his belly button and hugging his armpits. Ok, it wasn't quite that bad, but it's definitely time for new gear.
This is already much longer than I planned. I'm out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment